Maximum Velocity in 2D Platformer

Started by
2 comments, last by kunos 12 years, 1 month ago
I'm sure this will probably be something basic but I'm having some trouble figuring this one out. So I'm working on a relatively simple 2D platformer motion system. If I want to move an object I call an applyForce(f) function and give it a force vector. The problem I have is if, for example, the player is running, I want a maximum velocity so they don't turn into The Flash. But if I want to then apply another force to simulate a strong gust of wind, it should push the player to a faster rate than he can normally run, exceeding the maximum velocity. I've thought about assigning a max velocity property to each force, but after I take the wind gust force away, they should still have a momentum exceeding the normal maximum 'running' velocity, until friction brings them back down to normal speed.
Advertisement
Maybe not the best way to do it, but a fairly simple example:

if (speed < maxSpeed)
{
speed += acceleration
if (speed > maxSpeed)
speed = maxSpeed;
}
else if (speed > maxSpeed)
{
speed -= friction;
if (speed < maxSpeed)
speed = maxSpeed;
}

So if you're running slower then the max speed, then speed up and if you are faster then slow down.

Now for the gust of wind, temporarily increase the maxSpeed to your desired value, then drop it back down again at the end. The player will automatically adjust.
Works great, thanks! It never even occurred to me to think of it as a "target" velocity rather than a maximum.
add a linear dampening force to the character.

addForce( velocity * linearDamp);

Tune linear damp to a negative value until you get the desired effect. This will look more physically correct than just capping the max speed to a given value, plus, it's just one line and the code is much more consistent.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement