• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ng_tina

Looking for a 2D tile-based engine to work with

This topic is 2347 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Some of you are probably going to sick of seeing this topic... but I'm going to raise my flame shield and take a shot anyway >.>

I came from a Java/PHP background, not a guru but I have a sound foundation about programming (or at least, how to solve a problem by going through the API alone). I'm not fond of Visual Basic syntax due to my attachment with the C++ style syntax, but if the engine's scripting language has enough reference to follow I'll be fine with any language.

That being said, I'm looking for a 2d, tile-based engine to work with as a hobby. I'd like to eventually make a cheap sprite based action RPG like Zelda, and if I continue this hobby I'd be happy to settle with that setting for the rest of my life, but I have been going through the many choices of engines available out there (http://content.gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines) and here I am feeling utterly overwhelmed, hence I'm asking for recommendations.

Since I feel comfortable with coding, the engine that I want to work with just needs to be flexible, powerful, easy to code and (optionally but I'll do it myself if needed) be able to handle daunting system resource management out of the box such as optimisation. It doesn't need to be a pure point-n-click engine like RPG Maker, and in fact, I would like to avoid RPG Maker because apparently the scripting side of it is a headache.

I've repeatedly considered Game Maker but I hear that making RPG with it can be quite annoying, though you guys might differ. And then there're just too many other engines I've looked into that it would be too long to sum up what I've researched so far in this post.

Would any of you be willing to enlighten me with a choice that I should stick to for a while?

Advertisement
No suggestion?... I sure have invoked some awkward silence here!

To anyone who care for any reason, I'm going to suggest myself Game Maker for a start...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!