Beginner hoping for a few pointers

Started by
6 comments, last by Arivor 12 years, 1 month ago
Hello all,

I've now watched this forum for a few days and I think I've come to the right place. I'll come straight to the point:
I have some experience in programming and want to revive an old dream of mine: Creating an oldschool RPG. Here's a list of things that come to mind:

• "Oldschool": No fancy 3D graphics, no realtime playing - just turn based, tile map.
  • Should be cross-platform - I think the best way is to use Java - any other recommendations?
  • I already made a few simple games - some "shoot' em up", Pong, that stuff; fiddled with bitmaps in Delphi way back on Windows.
  • I'm not sure on whether to use a pre-made engine. While it would speed things up, I'd rather know what goes on "behind the stage", and I don't know if I can achieve that without creating from scratch. Any advice? (Oh, and if I were to use something pre-made, it'd have to be licensed under some form of copyleft so I don't have to struggle with licensing problems.)
  • As mentioned, I made some simpler games with Delphi's VCL. But I really don't know where to begin with this one, and albeit having searched the internet for a long time, I didn't find any tutorials that really addressed my problem. My hope now is that the community in this forum can point me a way to start.

Okay, thanks for reading this, and please point out if I have to give more information. Thanks for your time!

Sincerely
Arivor

P.S.: Please excuse my English since it's not my native language.
Advertisement
Should be cross-platform - I think the best way is to use Java - any other recommendations?

Typically there are compilers/interpreters for major languages on major platforms, so you could also consider other languages.

I'm not sure on whether to use a pre-made engine. While it would speed things up, I'd rather know what goes on "behind the stage", and I don't know if I can achieve that without creating from scratch. Any advice? (Oh, and if I were to use something pre-made, it'd have to be licensed under some form of copyleft so I don't have to struggle with licensing problems.)

You could also consider an open-source engine as a compromise solution: this may speed things up and you can learn things "behind the stage" as you will become more expert.

Good luck! smile.png

[ About me ]

Thanks for your response, fla!

You could also consider an open-source engine as a compromise solution: this may speed things up and you can learn things "behind the stage" as you will become more expert.

That's a good argument. Do you have any recommendations here?

Typically there are compilers/interpreters for major languages on major platforms, so you could also consider other languages.

Yeah, but for compiled languages, I'd have to provide one version for every system, and I'd have to recompile for every update in the code. So each time I want to fix a bug, it'll be "hey there, can anyone compile my game on Windows 32-bit, please?". Or am I mistaken here?

Sincerely
Arivor
I'm not much of a Java programmer, but I've heard good things about jMonkey. A quick search also turned up jGame, which appears to be a 2D engine.

I think fla was referring to interpreted languages like Python, for which there is pyGame. I've seen a lot of people around here recommend it; definitely something to look at.

Best of luck!

That's a good argument. Do you have any recommendations here?

I don't deeply know 2D engines, sorry. About 3D, I'm using Panda3D, I think it's very good.

Yeah, but for compiled languages, I'd have to provide one version for every system, and I'd have to recompile for every update in the code. So each time I want to fix a bug, it'll be "hey there, can anyone compile my game on Windows 32-bit, please?". Or am I mistaken here?

You could set a cross-compiling environment, but it may be difficult sometimes. If this is a problem for you, you have to rely on virtual machine / interpreter - based solutions, such as Java, Python, ...

Anyway, you could also consider solutions where you can develop on one platform and deploy on many (several engines do this).

[ About me ]

I'm not much of a Java programmer, but I've heard good things about jMonkey.

Thanks, that looks interesting. Could be a bit overpowered for my purposes, but I'll definitely take a closer look.

I tried PyGame two or three times and wasn't too happy with it, but that's just my personal experience.

Sincerely
Arivor
Have you considered something like ActionScript? Artists in my university use it to make simple games that turn out to be pretty good too.

Have you considered something like ActionScript? Artists in my university use it to make simple games that turn out to be pretty good too.

I don't really like flash, so I never got into that language. I have no idea if it suits my purpose. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

For now, I'm finding my way with JME. Once I got blender 2.62 to export ogre/xml files, I might use that to do a 3D tile based game.

Sincerely
Arivor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement