• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sayid Ahmed

VAT for in-game currency?

This topic is 2416 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the UK, does your company have to charge VAT on selling in-game currency for an online game? I guess another question would be: is VAT applicable to any online transaction you charge?

Assuming you are already VAT registered and yadaya.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Might I suggest asking the VAT helpline?

They're the ones who are likely to know.

Unless you can conceivably demonstrate that your game and thus in-game currency passes as a form of "book", "sport", "health" or "stuff for disabled people" (I strongly assume it won't pass as "food"), your government will in general want to see money from you.

On a more serious note, you may (possibly) be able to evade VAT under "betting, gaming, and lotteries" (VAT notice 701/29), but this will open a lot of other problems that you probably want to avoid (minors). Note that subscriptions are not exempt.

If your customers are outside the EU, you may also not be required to charge VAT, but there's some considerable administrational burden with that, which is probably not worth it. It's very likely a lot easier and cheaper to simply have everyone pay VAT.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!