• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Profiling Methods

This topic is 2230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya,

I need to take some measurements of a single instance of my game login server, to roughly determine its throughput. I'm having some difficulty in figuring out how to do this, as I need to profile the application on Windows Server 2008 - which definitely does not have any profiling or debugging tools installed.

Ideally, I'd like to find out either the average time for a login process to complete or the number of logins per second which can be achieved.

The two methods I've thought of:

• Build some timing code into the server - This would tell me the average time to login, and I could set up some client machines to swamp the server with login requests.

• Create synthetic login requests with several client - hit the server with as many concurrent requests as possible, and record how many logins are completed in a given time frame (e.g. one minute).

The problem with both of these is that login requires a short exchange of messages, which means that the timed results are dependant partly on the client machines.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
You're not profiling here, you're stress testing. This is a common problem so you should be able to search for it and see methodologies. You're likely going to need a combination of both methods plus some perfmon counters and other measurement tools.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement