• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

simple question

This topic is 2168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Tentatively... yes. What type of game would you like to make?

Honestly, I would say no. Unity makes everything incredibly simple and streamlined which is nice, but I never really learned anything about how to make games until I started trying to program them from beginning to end. When I was working in Unity, I was a part of a team, mainly because I didn't know how to do everything. Now, I am making games, albeit much simpler ones, and I am doing it all myself. I know this isn't how it works on larger projects, but being able to do everything in the process, even if that isn't required makes you an incredible asset. Plus it's fun to be able to show some friends a game, and say "I made that."

I would pick up a programming book (assuming you don't know how to program already) and learn the basics of a language. I only know Java but it seems a good place to start as it's relatively simple, and despite everyone's criticisms of Java games, it is capable of handling anything you would be making on your own.

Once you know the basics, I would pick up a book on game programming. (I've done this multiple times, they all teach something different) It doesn't matter if it's in your language as long as you understand the principles in the book, although it would be best if it is.

Start making games and go from there.

Other than that I have no opinion. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Peter

Definetely yes. It's free, has a great editor and can be scripted in C#.
I don't think the OP is ready to do low level work when he is just starting game development.

sorry i didnt specify.. i know programming.. i work as a web developer and i know c++ little.

my goal is to try to create small rts game even in 2d

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement