• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

advanced C++ books

This topic is 2170 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I am wanting to learn some new c++ and I have some books however I want to know if I could get some recommendations on a book. I have learned from "beginning c++ through game programming 2nd edition". I you haven't read this book it teaches pointers, references,classes, dynamic memory allocation, and inheritance and polymorphism and everything in between.

thanks

Advertisement
After the stuff you listed there, I would say you've done "learning" C++, by which I mean the syntax and semantics of the language. Now, if you already know your way through all that stuff and know when to use which thing, I would suggest a general object-oriented programming book, for example, this cornerstone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_Patterns_(book)

It teaches you more about the efficient use of object-oriented language, and these methods can be used with just about any OO-language out there. I like to think that it's more important to have knowledge about the general principles and methods rather than the specific languages. When you understand the "bigger picture", it's not a big thing to learn a new language and take the knowledge into practice. That's why I recommend the Design Patterns and all the similar books out there. :)

I would recommend reading through the entire C++ FAQ Lite before getting any more books ;) (it also comes in book-form if you prefer)

Scott Myers "(more) Effective C++" is a must-read for all C++ programmers.

Also, as far as online resources go, Guru of the Week will surely teach you things you didn't know about C++. That site also contains the names of books by the GOTW author, which are sure to be of similar utility.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement