• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need some motivation and help

This topic is 2258 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a novice programmer (The best I can do is make a simple calculator with C++). My goal in the next few months is to make video games.

I am currently reading this book:
http://www.amazon.com/C-Primer-Plus-5th-Edition/dp/0672326973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331671867&sr=8-1

and this book to make flash games:
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-ActionScript-3-0-Beginners-Guide/dp/059652787X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331671913&sr=1-1

I feel like I'm not making any progress. What can I use to motivate myself? or what sources should I use to make this process of learning easier? Also, what else should I learn to make games/flash games?

I dream of one day realeasing a game on Steam. I'm hoping this forum could be a guide and a form of motivation.

Thanks

Advertisement
Is there any particular reason you are learning C++ and flash together? Which area are you not making progress with? It is usually better to focus on one area at a time, for now stick with a programming book that focuses on the language itself.

I personally would put the C++ aside for now and stick with flash, it is easier to learn.

As for motivation, consider your end game the ultimate motivation, usually this is money (which I find to be rather crude), from a personal point of view the knowledge you will obtain will be enough to make it worth doing.

As for game development, it really depends on what you are making and for which platform, for now though you should practice learning a programming language, you cant really rush this stage as game programming is programming :)

What can I use to motivate myself?

It is a very subjective thing, everyone has his own way to motivate himself, so you have to find yours. As instance, I am motivated by results, so, since the development of a game requires a lot of time, I divide the process into milestones and when I reach one of them I have the motivation to work on the next one.

for myself the motivation is simple, what i see developed is not good enough, i believe someone can do better, now i need to get off my ass and get the skills to prove it or shut up. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!