• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gnarlyman

What's the frustum-to-pixels process?

This topic is 2408 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya,

As the subject line asks, what's the general process by which an engine takes the frustum coordinates (and actually, this assumes that data has already been put into -1,-1,-1 1,1,1 view box coords) and gets all the way to pixels on da screen?

Thanks!

Advertisement
After that you apply the viewport transform. For D3D it looks like this:

X = (X + 1) * Viewport.Width * 0.5 + Viewport.TopLeftX
Y = (1 - Y) * Viewport.Height * 0.5 + Viewport.TopLeftY
Z = Viewport.MinDepth + Z * (Viewport.MaxDepth - Viewport.MinDepth)

After this you have a screen space coordinate in pixels.

Thanks MJP! Very much obliged. I guess my next Q is...

Once the screen space in coordinates is achieved, what is the general description of the pixel-painting process? I know a lot of things like texture mapping and lighting and shading (obviously) enter here; I'm simply looking for an overall summation, whether or not any math is included, of the process so I can understand the conceptual logic of the "painting part".

It's a process called scanline rasterization.

EDIT: This generally happens for you automagically if you're talking to a 3D API like Direct3D and there are some additional quirks/implementation details when doing things in hardware, but I'll omit that for brevity. They're likely not useful until you already have an understanding anyways-- it's just some clever cheating that could be a little confusing.

In very over-simplified terms, the hardware will essentially map a triangle's 3 vertices to screen space and then figure out which pixels are "covered" by that triangle. Usually this is done by testing whether the triangle overlaps with a single point at the center of the pixel.

[attachment=7697:IC520311.png]

For each of those covered pixels, a single instance of the current pixel shader is executed. A pixel shader is program that's run on the GPU, and it's primary job is to figure out what value should be written to the pixel that it's assigned to. So a really simple pixel shader might just return a value of (1, 0, 0), which would show up as the color red if put on the screen. However a more complex pixel shader can sample textures, calculate lighting, apply normal mapping, etc. This is all done by interpolating values from the 3 triangle vertices. So for instance, it might interpolate the world space position of each vertex and use that for lighting values. Or the vertices might have texture coordinates, which are used for sampling textures.

In reality it's a little more complex than this, since there are more rules and hardware-specific optimizations to consider. But that's the general idea.

It's important to note here that we're getting deep into hardware-specific implementation details that individual GPU vendors are extremely unlikely to publicly divulge (gotta maintain that competitive edge!) While there is a lot of common theory behind it, and while searching for a pipeline diagram (here's one for D3D9) will give you a conceptual overview, nobody outside of the hardware vendors really knows the full details of exactly what is being done on any given GPU.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!