"Rougelike" Platformer

Started by
11 comments, last by HabitueGames 12 years, 1 month ago
[size="7"]NEW THREAD HERE
http://www.indiedb.com/games/archer-alec
Advertisement
Not even slightly a roguelike.

Not even slightly a roguelike.

What would you call it then? I'm not sure what to categorize it as.
My vote goes to Boar-Murder Simulator biggrin.png

Seriously though -- it seems like you have some of the hallmarks of many rogue-likes: some amount of persistence, advancement, random generation. What you seem to be missing from the rogue-like formula is varying classes, (usually) in-depth stats, item management. Many rogue-likes are more about strategy than skills, which is hard to pull off in a platformer.

The closest thing to a rogue-like platformer that I can imagine would resemble a vast, procedurally-generated Castlevania, but with more item management, stats, and character classes with different traits.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Cool!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Seriously though -- it seems like you have some of the hallmarks of many rogue-likes: some amount of persistence, advancement, random generation. What you seem to be missing from the rogue-like formula is varying classes, (usually) in-depth stats, item management. Many rogue-likes are more about strategy than skills, which is hard to pull off in a platformer.

The closest thing to a rogue-like platformer that I can imagine would resemble a vast, procedurally-generated Castlevania, but with more item management, stats, and character classes with different traits.

Ha, Yeah there will definitely be more monsters in the game don't worry about that! smile.png
I have a "item system" that i'm implementing currently. Here is an overview of it , the player has 3 inventory slots
in those slots the player can hold special arrows, (fire arrows, ice, water, earth,..etc) And when you kill a boss you will get a random special arrow.
So if you have those 3 slots already filled with say.. Fire, Ice, and Water, you will have to toss one of them out to get this new arrow.
Hopefully that will add not necessarily more depth; but more strategy.
Thanks for the feed back!

I don't think those traits are necessary. Spelunky is considered a Rougelike platformer, but it doesn't have classes or stats.

Actually Spelunky might be a good idea to look at.
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

[quote name='Ravyne' timestamp='1331854655' post='4922426']

I don't think those traits are necessary. Spelunky is considered a Rougelike platformer, but it doesn't have classes or stats.

Actually Spelunky might be a good idea to look at.
[/quote]

Will do thanks for input
This is really kinda cool. I like the way that after you shoot the arrows, if they miss you find them sticking out of stuff lol. The boars jump extremely high for pigs. This could do with some music too. Although that's not such a big deal right now. The item management system and maybe a different weapons would spice it up nicely.

Game Music Life

Because Game Music Is Life

I like the style and the concept!

One suggestion would be to make it so that you can see more of the screen at once. Given how little is visible in the video, it seems like it would be really difficult to react to, say, an enemy appearing from one side of the screen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement