Incorrect value range when sampling BC5_SNORM texture

Started by
6 comments, last by Chris_F 12 years, 1 month ago
The problem I'm having is that when I load a R8G8B8A8_SNORM encoded dds texture and sample it in my shader, it gives me values in the [-1, 1] range as I would expect. But, If I load the same normal map that was encoded as BC5_SNORM and sample it, it gives me values in the [0, 1] range. blink.png

I'm using D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromFile in conjunction with D3DX11GetImageInfoFromFile to load the textures. I doubled checked and the dds file in question is certainly BC5_SNORM and not BC5_UNORM.
Advertisement
I would use PIX and sample some pixels to see if the error is in loading of the texture or if the sampling don't know what format it is stored in.
I loaded it in pix. The first normal map shows as R8G8B8A8_SNORM and the second shows as BC5_SNORM. In my pixel shader the first returns [-1, 1] and the second [0, 1], such that:

Normal1.Sample(linearSampler, input.texcoord).xy

and

Normal2.Sample(linearSampler, input.texcoord).xy * 2 - 1

return the same value.
Could you find a pixel with negative values on the BC5_SNORM image in PIX?

Could you find a pixel with negative values on the BC5_SNORM image in PIX?

PIX is unable to display SNORM textures.
Then I would check Format in pLoadInfo given to D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromFile.

Then I would check Format in pLoadInfo given to D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromFile.

It's BC5_SNORM all day every day.
Bump.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement