Help finding Realistic Perspective Scaling and Forumla's to prove

Started by
4 comments, last by Burnt_Fyr 12 years ago
I am working on a simulator to project a realistically scaled object onto the screen. Eg. The person stands 3.8 M away from the screen, so a 1 meter cube placed 3.8M in front of the camera should measure out to be 1M on the projector screen.

Is there any formula I can use to prove that the perspective is properly scaling, eg. If I move the object back to 4M from the camera I can use a formula to prove that it is the proper scaling to the human eye?
Advertisement
Also any help for ideas of search terms of what I want would be helpful. I'm good with using equations its just been a few years since I've done any physics related to this subject.
Your FOV for your objects camera must equal the FOV of the projector... Also remember that FOV in 3d apps is generally a vertical measure. What you will likely find though, is that a real world FOV doesn't translate well to FOV for an in game camera. Our eyes have a horizontal FOV of almost 180, but only about 90 vertically. this aspect ratio is difficult to map to standards. On a computer screen this would equate to having blinders on. To see an accurate projection on a monitor would mean that our view window would only cover about 1/6th of our actual view space. It's actually very similar to how we see with a scope or binoculars.
The blinders aspect is acceptable as I only am concerned with objects scaling at a distance. So even if its like looking at the world through a window I just want to make sure that the object at X distance appears to be the same scale as an object at X distance. Thank you for your input and I am definately going to be comparing the FOV of the projector to make sure everything works out.
It works, I got a home theatre setup Excel spreadsheet that calculated out the FOV and it works! Thanks for your help!
Glad I could help, I've been away from GD and programming in general for about a year(well i still lurk, always lurking). I hope you'll be posting up a video of the project at some point, it's always fun to see what others are working on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement