Blockscape - New game

Started by
6 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 11 years, 11 months ago
Hi,

This is my game Blockscape:

game1.png

Gameplay trailer:

I have been working on this game for about two years.

I released a beta a few weeks ago and today I released a new build.

To get more info and to download the demo:

www.blockscape.com

Any kind of feedback is welcome.

best regards
Jens
Advertisement
Wow, that video looks really nice. Loving the graphics. $13 USD is a bit high for me to take a gamble on your game (since there is no actual gameplay at the moment). I'd seriously give $5 for a copy of your game today, but not $13. Minecraft waited until it had enemies and resources and stuff before charging for it. The "just build stuff" phase was free on the website.

By the way, there's no buy button on your webpage. At least, not without registering... and forcing people to register before they hit the 'purchase' button drives away sales.

If, however, you put a heavy emphasis on RPG elements in your game (as it seems you are), or if you offer a early adopter half-off price, with dungeons and equipment and such, I'd probably spring for it in a month or two. Honestly, I wouldn't even buy Minecraft completed at it's current price of $27 - but I picked up three copies in early alpha. Your game looks really good.

Wow, that video looks really nice. Loving the graphics.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like it.

$13 USD is a bit high for me to take a gamble on your game (since there is no actual gameplay at the moment). I'd seriously give $5 for a copy of your game today, but not $13. Minecraft waited until it had enemies and resources and stuff before charging for it. The "just build stuff" phase was free on the website.

I will think it over but I can't promise anything.

By the way, there's no buy button on your webpage. At least, not without registering... and forcing people to register before they hit the 'purchase' button drives away sales.

Good point. I will fix that.

If, however, you put a heavy emphasis on RPG elements in your game (as it seems you are), or if you offer a early adopter half-off price, with dungeons and equipment and such, I'd probably spring for it in a month or two. Honestly, I wouldn't even buy Minecraft completed at it's current price of $27 - but I picked up three copies in early alpha. Your game looks really good.

RPG is my favourite type of game so yes that will be a big part of Blockscape.

Thank you very much for the great feedback and the kind words.
Jens
I really like the graphics. Especially the water graphics. The water has like ripples and everything. I also like the fact that you can change the size of the blocks. That way you can create more intricate things. I wouldn't compare it to Minecraft since it looks kinda different from it, but with more work it could be more advanced than Minecraft.

Game Music Life

Because Game Music Is Life

Just to reiterate "Servant of the Lord"'s point about downloading / buying. I'd recommend making at least the demo downloadable without registration.

I'm interested enough to click through but only just and casual people that you're hoping to hook and get to buy will just immediately close the page.

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Alrighty I'm impressed! The demo seemed to run just fine on my laptop.
A couple of things would be nice;
1) ingame options such as inverting the mouse look!
2) ingame listing of the keys, perhaps with the options or on pause menu - this is especially important since it automatically goes fullscreen!
3) a choice to run fullscreen / windowed.
4) I seemed to be able to look further than straight up which was very confusing.

And a possible bug, I headed straight for the water line when the game first loaded and found that I got totally stuck in the water for a while until I dug myself out by creating a trench into the land. Possibly a bit disconcerting for first time players.

Otherwise I really like the look of the whole thing, you've really got a beautiful game there. I especially love the combination and balance you've achieved with the water, heavy fogging/atmosphere and bright colours for the landscape. I'm a huge sucker for blue skies instead of all the usual drab and dreary crap we get in most games and yours is very pretty.

I might try and hook my laptop upto the downstairs TV to get an even bigger screen to play it on! :D

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Blockscape just got Multiplayer.
Here's a thought: As opposed to Minecraft, you should definitely consider letting creative and gaming modes be sequential, like in The Sims etc (afaik). I.e. that the player starts the game in creative mode, then sets the game to gaming with whatever build mechanics are in there. That allows a creative person to quickly build the basics before doing the gamey stuff.

One major flaw of Minecraft, IMO, was the fact that survival mode wasn't very project-friendly. Now, the lack of full freedom in survival mode is part of the whole point of survival, but it'd be awesome if you could start the game by making those massive structures and then start survival mode (not having to rely on changing the save file to survival, externally - not all players know how to do that, after all).

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement