• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Few questions for developing a game engine

This topic is 2228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I am looking to make a engine for a 2D stealth game like Metal Gear. I'm not totally new to game programing but the only things I have made are little things not a full game. So I have a few questions when it comes to coding my game engine.

What kind of classes should I have for my engine? I am not exactly sure how to set up the engine and how to organize it. Any good tutorials on designing engines or any advice?

One thing I have been struggling with is how to load each level. How do I load all the different collision and stuff in the level. Would it be easiest to make a class for each level then set up all the collision stuff in each class? I guess im just no sure how to go about this.

Advertisement

I guess im just no sure how to go about this.

If you have no idea how to start, you definitely don't know how to finish.

What existing engines have you used? How did they structure things?

Any good tutorials on designing engines or any advice?

Yes; forget about the 'engine' concept and just write the game.

Figure out what you want to do in stages for this game and then implement it. You will get it wrong, you will make mistakes, but this is the process of learning.

Unless you are writing an engine for fun or you have written multiple games before writing an engine from the ground up is a pointless task when you want to make a game.

(In fact if you want to make a game I would suggest going out and using an existing engine which might well get you going fast.)

The key point; forget about an 'engine'. Good engines grow from games (see; practically every major engine out there), bad engines sit on peoples hard drives and "waste" years of their lives.

What I did that's really helped me so far is to create 2 projects. The first project is "The Game" - as Phantom said, just go ahead and create what you want. I'm a huge fan of Object Oriented design and design patterns so I try to keep my code as tidy as possible in this sense.

The second project I created was called "The Framework". This is a collection of classes that I've found I use over and over again. As the number of classes in the framework grew, I took more time to organise and refactor it. When the framework grew to a certain size, I began making improvements to it and then made sure that these improvements were reflected in my game.

Before I knew it, I had enough code to start another game with very little new code - and if you want to call this an "engine", I'm not going to stop you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement