Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL Radeon vs nVidia rendering - game issue

This topic is 2126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,
some time ago I wrote simple game which looks like arkanoid. And everything would be fine if not one BIG problem: on nVidia graphic cards my game is rendering everything what i want, but on Radeon you can't see anything else than black background. I dont use any special instructions for shaders or opengl. I use simple VBO + VAO + shader GLSL(#verison 120).

Game:
[url="http://www.wupload.com/file/2676932477/antyNoid.zip"]http://www.wupload.com/file/2676932477/antyNoid.zip[/url]

Sample shader:
[CODE]
#version 120
uniform mat4 modelViewProjectionMatrix;
in vec3 in_Position;
void main(void)
{
gl_TexCoord[0] = gl_MultiTexCoord0;
gl_Position=vec4(in_Position.xy*2,0,1);
}
[/CODE]

Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? What should I check to know where is difference between using opengl+shader in nVidia and in Radeon? Can it be the problem of shaders? (all are in defaultData of game, some can look stragne because of shader-merging system, but it works fine).

Oh and: I dont get any Opengl/Shader compile errors what is so strange too.

As a guess it's because you're mixing old-style vertex shader inputs (gl_MultiTexCoord0) with new-style user-defined inputs (in_Position). You should be using one or the other, not both, and NVIDIA is known to be permissive about this kind of thing (even when it violates the spec).

Hi!

I've seen issues with attribute locations on ATI cards, while it just worked fine on Nvidia. If you've done something wrong here, ATI drivers will be silent, while Nvidia drivers will figure out something approriate.
Attribute locations connect the vertex attributes passed in to the variable names in your shader code. Before linking it goes like this:
[CODE]glBindAttribLocation(myProgram, 0, "in_Position");[/CODE]
This connects the first vertex attribute (0) to the shader variable "in_Position".

(If you use GLSL > #330 you can specify them explicitly in the shader code. That's what I always do.)
[CODE]layout(location = 0) in vec3 in_Position;[/CODE]
EDIT: The "in" belongs behind the layout. (Nvidia doesn't seem to care, but Radeon does. :))

There is a third way to get the binding location after linking but I wouldn't recommend it, since this means you have to tailor your VAO attributes so that they fit the expectations of the shader... which is problematic if you have two different shaders which should render the same geometry. Because it could mean you need a VAO for each shader...

But still, as mhagain said, it could as well be because of mixing fixed function stuff with user-defined inputs. It's not a good idea to mix them. I'd suggest to fix this first and if it still doesn't work check whether you specified the binding locations correctly.

Cheers!

[quote name='furrymaster' timestamp='1332099532' post='4923092']
#version 120
gl_Position=vec4(in_Position.xy*2,0,1);
Oh and: I dont get any Opengl/Shader compile errors what is so strange too.
[/quote]
Odd.

[s]I am not 100% sure (have not used glsl v120 for a very-very long time), but the position line should be invalid (it is not invalid since v300, i think). It should be written as "... .xy*2[b].0[/b],0[b].0[/b],1[b].0[/b]);". Common error from old days (NV did base its glsl implementation on its CG work and largely ignores the finer points of the specification). Worth a check me thinks.[/s]

Also, compilation error might have been postponed to linking time (doubtful for this particular error tho) - so, did you check for linker errors?

edit: i was a bit annoyed that i can not remeber when the int/float nonsense got fixed in glsl - and after a bit of digging ... not sure when, but it is OK at least in 120 (http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/GLSLangSpec.Full.1.20.8.pdf section 4.1.10). So, nevermind that.

Tsus u are right. I've checked that if i get attribute exactly before redner and set it into VAO i get good render in radeon. But it's unusefull in real time. I thin I'll use this layout-location code. Than you all so much.

I'm trying to use laoyut + location but radeon gives error:
[quote]Shader compilation: Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:4: error(#132) Syntax error: 'layout' parse error
ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors. No code generated[/quote]
This error is for example here:
[CODE]
//VERT:
#version 330

in layout(location = 0) vec2 in_Position;
in layout(location = 1) vec2 in_TexCoord;
uniform mat4 modelViewProjectionMatrix;
out vec2 txCoord;
void main()
{

txCoord = in_TexCoord;
gl_Position= modelViewProjectionMatrix*vec4(in_Position,0,1);
}
//FRAG:
#version 330
in vec2 txCoord;
uniform sampler2D tex;
void main()
{
gl_FragColor=texture2D( tex, txCoord );
}
[/CODE]
What am I doing wrong? And why NV doesn't get any error?

According to [url="http://www.opengl.org/wiki/GLSL_Type_Qualifiers"]this[/url] site it is:
[CODE]layout(location = 0) in vec3 in_Position;[/CODE]
The "in" belongs behind the layout... sorry for the inconvenience.
I don't have a Radeon at hand to test it on, but I think this is the problem.

yes thats right, I have noticed this after writting last post :) Thank you so much for help. These layout location is so useful thing:)

This topic is 2126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By xhcao
      Does sync be needed to read texture content after access texture image in compute shader?
      My simple code is as below,
      glUseProgram(program.get());
      glBindImageTexture(0, texture[0], 0, GL_FALSE, 3, GL_READ_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glBindImageTexture(1, texture[1], 0, GL_FALSE, 4, GL_WRITE_ONLY, GL_R32UI);
      glDispatchCompute(1, 1, 1);
      // Does sync be needed here?
      glUseProgram(0);
      glBindFramebuffer(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, framebuffer);
      glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0,
                                     GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X + face, texture[1], 0);
      glReadPixels(0, 0, kWidth, kHeight, GL_RED_INTEGER, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, outputValues);

Compute shader is very simple, imageLoad content from texture[0], and imageStore content to texture[1]. Does need to sync after dispatchCompute?
    • By Jonathan2006
      My question: is it possible to transform multiple angular velocities so that they can be reinserted as one? My research is below:
      // This works quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); quat quaternion2 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion1, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2)); quat quaternion3 = GEMultiplyQuaternions(quaternion2, GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromQuaternion(quaternion3).array); // The first two work fine but not the third. Why? quat quaternion1 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector1); vec3 vector1 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion1, angularVelocity1); quat quaternion2 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector2); vec3 vector2 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion2, angularVelocity2); // This doesn't work //quat quaternion3 = GEQuaternionFromAngleRadians(angleRadiansVector3); //vec3 vector3 = GETransformQuaternionAndVector(quaternion3, angularVelocity3); vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, vector2); // Does not work: vec3 angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(vector1, GEAddVectors(vector2, vector3)); static vec3 angleRadiansVector; vec3 angularAcceleration = GESetVector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0); // Sending it through one angular velocity later in my motion engine angleVelocity = GEAddVectors(angleVelocity, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angularAcceleration, timeStep)); angleRadiansVector = GEAddVectors(angleRadiansVector, GEMultiplyVectorAndScalar(angleVelocity, timeStep)); glMultMatrixf(GEMat4FromEulerAngle(angleRadiansVector).array); Also how do I combine multiple angularAcceleration variables? Is there an easier way to transform the angular values?
    • By dpadam450
      I have this code below in both my vertex and fragment shader, however when I request glGetUniformLocation("Lights[0].diffuse") or "Lights[0].attenuation", it returns -1. It will only give me a valid uniform location if I actually use the diffuse/attenuation variables in the VERTEX shader. Because I use position in the vertex shader, it always returns a valid uniform location. I've read that I can share uniforms across both vertex and fragment, but I'm confused what this is even compiling to if this is the case.

#define NUM_LIGHTS 2
      struct Light
      {
          vec3 position;
          vec3 diffuse;
          float attenuation;
      };
      uniform Light Lights[NUM_LIGHTS];

• By pr033r
      Hello,
      I have a Bachelor project on topic "Implenet 3D Boid's algorithm in OpenGL". All OpenGL issues works fine for me, all rendering etc. But when I started implement the boid's algorithm it was getting worse and worse. I read article (http://natureofcode.com/book/chapter-6-autonomous-agents/) inspirate from another code (here: https://github.com/jyanar/Boids/tree/master/src) but it still doesn't work like in tutorials and videos. For example the main problem: when I apply Cohesion (one of three main laws of boids) it makes some "cycling knot". Second, when some flock touch to another it scary change the coordination or respawn in origin (x: 0, y:0. z:0). Just some streng things. 
      I followed many tutorials, change a try everything but it isn't so smooth, without lags like in another videos. I really need your help. 
      My code (optimalizing branch): https://github.com/pr033r/BachelorProject/tree/Optimalizing
      Exe file (if you want to look) and models folder (for those who will download the sources):
      http://leteckaposta.cz/367190436
      Thanks for any help...

• By Andrija
      I am currently trying to implement shadow mapping into my project , but although i can render my depth map to the screen and it looks okay , when i sample it with shadowCoords there is no shadow.
      Here is my light space matrix calculation
      mat4x4 lightViewMatrix; vec3 sun_pos = {SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[0], SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[1], SUN_OFFSET * the_sun->direction[2]}; mat4x4_look_at(lightViewMatrix,sun_pos,player->pos,up); mat4x4_mul(lightSpaceMatrix,lightProjMatrix,lightViewMatrix); I will tweak the values for the size and frustum of the shadow map, but for now i just want to draw shadows around the player position
      the_sun->direction is a normalized vector so i multiply it by a constant to get the position.
      player->pos is the camera position in world space
      the light projection matrix is calculated like this:
      mat4x4_ortho(lightProjMatrix,-SHADOW_FAR,SHADOW_FAR,-SHADOW_FAR,SHADOW_FAR,NEAR,SHADOW_FAR); Shadow vertex shader:
      uniform mat4 light_space_matrix; void main() { gl_Position = light_space_matrix * transfMatrix * vec4(position, 1.0f); } Shadow fragment shader:
      out float fragDepth; void main() { fragDepth = gl_FragCoord.z; } I am using deferred rendering so i have all my world positions in the g_positions buffer
      My shadow calculation in the deferred fragment shader:
      float get_shadow_fac(vec4 light_space_pos) { vec3 shadow_coords = light_space_pos.xyz / light_space_pos.w; shadow_coords = shadow_coords * 0.5 + 0.5; float closest_depth = texture(shadow_map, shadow_coords.xy).r; float current_depth = shadow_coords.z; float shadow_fac = 1.0; if(closest_depth < current_depth) shadow_fac = 0.5; return shadow_fac; } I call the function like this:
      get_shadow_fac(light_space_matrix * vec4(position,1.0)); Where position is the value i got from sampling the g_position buffer
      Here is my depth texture (i know it will produce low quality shadows but i just want to get it working for now):
      sorry because of the compression , the black smudges are trees ... https://i.stack.imgur.com/T43aK.jpg
      EDIT: Depth texture attachment:
      glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24,fbo->width,fbo->height,0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT,GL_FLOAT,NULL); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, fbo->depthTexture, 0);
  • Popular Now