• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DaltonChancellor

Introducing the noob

This topic is 2457 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i am ignition246 (basically everywhere), aka daltominus (youtube), aka dalton (real life). I have been coding very small (mainly unfinished) java games for about 8 months now. I have made my own 2d artwork, battle systems, random background and random enemy generation, fixed and scrolling walking systems, inventory, etc. I, however, have no idea how to finish a game, how to do the more complex tasks, how to learn new languages, how to release anything... It is all very daunting to me. I am only a freshmen in high school, but more than exceptionally smart. I would love to somehow become a part of the video game industry, as video games are a large amount of my life. I have very many ideas, but no friends who are intellectually capable of applying themselves, and consequently say they will help, then do nothing, then wonder why the game never gets finished. I would just like to get some advice on where and how to start, reguardless of the difficulty. No matter how hard it is to become relevant, or at least moderatley succesful, in the video game world, i will try my best. Thank you.

Advertisement
Hi Dalton, welcome to GameDev.Net!

I have very many ideas, but no friends who are intellectually capable of applying themselves, and consequently say they will help, then do nothing, then wonder why the game never gets finished.

That's an interesting comment to follow only a couple of lines after saying that you yourself had no idea how to finish a game! wink.png

People have different skill-sets, different interests, and differing motivations, and you would do well in life to remember that there are probably things those friends of yours think are easily done but which would leave you baffled. Don't make the mistake of looking down on people just because something that comes easily to you is difficult for them -- the shoe often ends up on the other foot in other situations -- this goes doubly-so if you've yet to prove yourself either!

It sounds to me from your little story that you personally might have two areas that need working on: you need to improve your knowledge base, both to improve your basic technical abilities, and to learn things like planning and project management, and you need to figure out your motivation so that you can push yourself to learn a complete project rather than just a small part of a game or an interesting tech-demo.

I normally recommend a beginner start with C# and XNA, or Python with PyGame -- but that may or may not be the best fit for you if you already have some experience -- if you've already been using Java you might prefer to stick with it; what scale of projects have you been tackling with Java?

You've also mentioned some vastly different areas of work that would normally be done by entirely different people in the industry, although indie and hobbyist developers will often take on multiple roles. At a glance I see artwork, design, and a little bit of programming -- which of these actually interests you the most? What do you see yourself doing in the industry in future?

I'm going to shuffle this topic over to the For Beginners forum, where I think you may get more/better responses. smile.png

Welcome Dalton!

I have been coding very small (mainly unfinished) java games for about 8 months
[/quote]
That's a really good start, You are on the right path, Just keep programming in Java, As you feel comfortable with programming try moving slightly to a language like jbadams said, C# or Python, They are very good languages.

I also see that you have a very good grit and determination in programming games, That's the spirit, Never lose the determination, That kind of determination is what it takes to make big games. Never lose patience.

Why care about you're friends who are lazy while you are so interested, Theres many you can make alone than a team, The problem is it will take a lot time doing it alone than doing it with your friends as a team, Still you can do it, Keep the projects simple, Make small 2D games, Once you are all the whole comfortable, You can begin with 3D programming where wonders start.

I hope you have some good skills in Mathematics, Because i felt really hard as i never listened to my maths lecturer. :) Now i see why its so important to learn in you're childhood, I am still learning mathematics. It's also good to have some Physics knowledge like basic momentum, motion etc.

Back to the first quote, You had mentioned you had been programming "unfinished games", Theres no othe Joy than finishing a game and stick you're name in the background and feel proud of it. Once you make a game, You feel confident about yourself, Thats what happened to me, I finished my first game and i was so proud of it, even though it was small and silly, I felt the confidence in me, As you keep making games, You are full into developing, which i must say. Give sometime learning too, First learn the basics, Learn it fully, make sure you understand every commands and functions.

Off you go!
Good luck, Remember just keep the same grit and determination in making games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!