Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BaCaRoZzo

Local to Global frame, translation and rotation

0 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've read a lot of stuff (also several thread here) but I'm a bit confused on the best choice (in term of simplicity and efficiency) to update the position of my simulated elements.
I've rigid shapes expressed in term of a local frame and a corresponding transformation matrix 4x4 which translates and rotates bodies from local frame to global one. I've also a constant translation velocity and a constant angular velocity (two vectors in m/s and rad/s) which are updated at certain intervals.

Now, if I want to update the position of a body I just need to update its rotation matrix and its translation vector in the 4x4 matrix. The translation vector can be easily updated:

[code]translation += vel * simulationStep[/code]

The rotation matrix can be update independently (since in the simulation I've no constraint which related translation and rotation). Now, the first choice I've found is pretty easy: since I can concatenate two rotations by multiplying their matrices, I calculate the rotation matrix for the current angular velocity, in term of roll, pitch and yaw (my library has a function for this purpose) and then multiply the matrices. That is (warning: sort of pseudo-code!):

[code]vector3 rot; //set to the scalar product of the angular velocity vector and the simulationStep
Matrix3 matrix;
matrix.setRpy(rot.z, rot.y, rot.x); //create the matrix with the roll pitch and yam desired
matrix * rotationMatrix; //rotationMatrix is the current 3x3 rotation matrix in the 4x4 transformation
[/code]

It is easy and it works (or at last it seems so). Using quaternion, i.e. converting the 3x3 matrix to a quaternion and work with it would be better of could I encounter a performance bottleneck in the conversion? My libraries relies on the 4x4 matrices thus I would end up converting two times (mat--> quat--> mat).

Any advice is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Baca.