• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Where would I use Windows Workflow (WF) in a game?

This topic is 2166 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

From a gaming point of view when would I use WF, curiosity had me look at WF and I just cant seem to work out where I would benefit from using it, it reminded me a lot like visio except the flow process was actually implemented. While this seems great and I could see a lot of places I could use this, in terms of gaming when would it be better to use WF over say hand coding a process / flow?

By the way it is described / advertised, AI often pops to mind but is it a bad thing in terms of performance to do logic in WF over hand code.

Since WF is something new, I may be completely wrong on what it is XD

Advertisement
i think the main concept of WF is to use it like plugins: the less - coding focused people can work with the workflows, coders work with the backend.

so it's kinda to look at a bit like a scripting language. and fits where ever a scripting language fits.

but the main thing is, of course: it fits where.. it fits. you can use it for what ever you think it fits. just don't use it just to have it used.

i don't think it's actually used much in gamedev, at all..

You might, maybe use it for background work like getting art assets approved and moved out to servers. Maybe for customer service reports. *Maybe*, if you were feeling particularly masochistic that day.

I've played around with WF a little and it seems a bit too ...inflexible. If you want to make a change, there's a few hoops you have to jump to get to work.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement