Can I learn to do good pixel art?

Started by
5 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 12 years ago
I am really bad at drawing and my handwriting is awful. I am trying to make a 2d game but I can't find an artist to do art for me and I can't find enough sprites online to get my game off the ground. If I tried hard enough, would it be possible to learn to be able to draw pixel art in a reasonable period of time? Again, I am very much not an artist although I would definitely like to be.
Advertisement
I'm not much of an artist either. My handwriting is terrible as well.
It takes some time to become a good pixel artist, but you can definitely do so - it just won't happen overnight,

I personally find it difficult to do character / enemy sprites, but after investing some time in it, I find I can do weapons and tileart decently well.

(Here's an example of my current level - not professional, but passable for a decent indie game)

For character sprites, I suggest you knock up some crummy temporary ones until your project is farther along, and then towards the end of development when you're showing your work around, hopefully a compassionate artist would step forward. You could show your almost-completed project on a pixel art forum requesting help.

okay, thank you. Know any good places to start learning?
I'm also terrible at creating graphics, but I've found vector art a lot easier to work with. If you're not set on using pixel art, then check out Inkscape, its free.
I have photoshop, as well as illustrator, so i don't need any programs. I just suck at art.

okay, thank you. Know any good places to start learning?

Just google for some tutorials, glance through them, and then start practicing.
Here's two near the top of google:
Mark's Pixel Art Tutorial
Derek Yu's Pixel Art Tutorial

You get better by actually doing it. The best way is to actually have some real task to do and not a contrived task, so work on actual art you need, and keep pressing forward. Towards the end of your project, yea you'll need to re-make your earlier work since your skill improved, but that's a good thing not a bad thing since it shows growth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement