• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Griffonix

orthographic projections

This topic is 2434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,
I read on another post someone mentioning using a 3D engine is more efficient using 2D using orthographic projections.
would be grateful of anymore information on this subject.
Mainly on how it is more efficient, dose it require 2D or 3D assets and how is it implemented in C++.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
Well, most of the 2D game engines out there are actually using 3D graphics, unless they are using DirectDraw (which is quite old).

The idea behind them is to have a camera with orthographic projection and use polygons with textures for your 2D sprites. That way it is easy to have multiple planes in your game (for example parallax scrolling in a side scroller is very easy to get) and you benefit from all kind of 3D specific effects like hardware acceleration/shaders, etc.

As an implementation, it is like any other 3d application, just that instead of 3d models you are using co-planar textured polygons, you can use either D3D or OpenGL, or just an existing engine that does that, like http://hge.relishgames.com/ (if you go for HGE, you might also check various versions of an open source project I've made that is using HGE for graphics and Box2D for physics: http://vortexarena.sourceforge.net)

This is fantasitc thank you, i had actually been using DirectDraw based off a tutorial i found.
For paralax scrolling i had to basically layer one on top of the other and try and get the scroll speed to look believable.
Ill take a look at using D3D then try out the engines.

Once again thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!