• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BUnzaga

I need advice/tutorials on space shooter 'AI' / pathing type stuff.

This topic is 2402 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to start work on a space shooter style game, but I am having a bit of a hard time thinking of how to implement the whole 'enemy ai' stuff.

Like... when 6-8 ships fly onto the screen in a line, do a loop, and then fly off, or other similar type things. Is there a good book, or some tutorials on stuff like this? I am talking about games like "Space Mega Force" or 'RType" etc.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I would suggest starting easy. For each enemy define a certain path for them, but make it easy. For these enemies, instead of having them loop, have them just change the angle (ie, add some y velocity), and they start to move diagonally.

If you really want to make them move in a circle, then I would look at adjusting their angle (and, thus, their velocities as well), continuously once they reach a certain point on the screen, until they have gone a full 360 degrees. That would be a loop.

Look into steering systems and particularly the Craig Reynolds "Boids" demo. That should get you started. It's fairly easy to generalize from 2D to 3D if your math is decent.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!