• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glhf

Opinion on World Chat?

35 posts in this topic

The bottom line is, if you are not ready to accept that people may disagree with you (provided they are constructive in their disagreement) and if you are not ready to take criticism for your ideas and concepts, then any constructive discussion is flat out [u][i]impossible[/i][/u] as it will result in absolutely nothing. If you want everybody to agree with you, then I agree with SimonForsman - make a blog and only allow positive feedback.

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1332596063' post='4924877']
I think it's way better if players have to meet up with people to talk to them.
For example at the town center / bank etc.. Wherever there usually are a lot of playes.

Also forces players to have to go to the town center to yell out their wares.
[/quote]
I always appreciated Ultima Online for that. No world chat (that I can remember anyways) and in order to sell things, you had to go to the most populated cities and yell among everyone else yelling to peddle your wares. I loved how real it seemed. I remember people sitting around looking all poor and people would actually give them money because they were having a hard time selling their firewood they just cut down...hehehe

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1333969926' post='4929506']
[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1333950034' post='4929467']
[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1332842306' post='4925608']
Next time I'm making a thread I'll make sure to say I'm only interested in people with same opinion.
[/quote]

This is a discussion forum, discussions where everyone agrees with eachother aren't really discussions and don't really lead to anything, If you want a place to post your opinions without having them challenged i'd recommend getting a blog, disable comments and add a facebook "like" button
[/quote]

I disagree.
The discussions where everyone is already of the same major conclusion are the discussions that DO lead somewhere.
Because then we all can discuss how to improve the major conclusion with many minor conclusions.
[/quote]

UHM..

Even if you're set on making a certain feature workable, opinions of why it doesn't work can help you to strengthen it.. You gotta start relying more on thinking and less on people agreeing with you.. I'd suggest going to your local library and picking up a book by Eward De Bono, I've heard they're really good at helping to develop thinking skills.. (The one I just started seems to be really helpful anyway)

I'm convinced that some of the dumbest inventions are the result of yes men agreeing because some big-wig had a "great idea", only for it to utterly fail when it launches.

Personally I think that conflict causes change. You should WANT people to disagree with you because it gives you a new perspective.

If you have a great idea stand by it. But consider being realistic too. Emotions can cloud our judgement. Consider Win-Win scenarios. Can you take the advice of others without compromising your vision?

Personally I love world chat, unless its the kind which requires a consumable cash shop item for each post. I also love games which incorporate a messageboard into the game (Gaia Online is the most obvious example since you earn gold for posting and others can tip you gold for helpful replies, etc.). I'm not big on realism because I prefer fantasy games with monsters and magic anyway. I absolutely hate player shops/lack of an automated global marketplace, which often philosophically go together with lack of world chat.

Next time I'm making a thread I'll make sure to say I'm only interested in people with same opinion.
[/quote]

This is a discussion forum, discussions where everyone agrees with eachother aren't really discussions and don't really lead to anything, If you want a place to post your opinions without having them challenged i'd recommend getting a blog, disable comments and add a facebook "like" button
[/quote]

Yeah and in addition to that you're not supposed to downrate posts here because you disagree with them. The way our rating system is intended to work is that people downrate posts that are hostile, factually wrong, or otherwise indicate that the person who wrote them isn't being a good community member. You are supposed to rate up posts that are insightful, helpful, or make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, not just ones you agree with.

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1334082324' post='4929970']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah and in addition to that you're not supposed to downrate posts here because you disagree with them. The way our rating system is intended to work is that people downrate posts that are hostile, factually wrong, or otherwise indicate that the person who wrote them isn't being a good community member. You are supposed to rate up posts that are insightful, helpful, or make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, not just ones you agree with.
[/quote]

Well, The one who made the system isn't a good game designer... because if you only want something to be intended for a specific thing then there can not be any other alternatives... you must create systems and features that are intended for people who can not be trusted.

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1334082698' post='4929972']
Well, The one who made the system isn't a good game designer... because if you only want something to be intended for a specific thing then there can not be any other alternatives... you must create systems and features that are intended for people who can not be trusted.
[/quote]
Law of large numbers. Even if some dude comes along and downrates/upvotes everything at random, it will be quickly averaged out to zero by the contributions of the rest of the community. It would take a large number of people to actually have significant impact on the rating system, and if that happens (which is not often, I'd wager), the forum can simply rollback all the ratings. I don't see any obvious flaw with this system. Clearly it is working well as I actually see people using the rating button with measure and intelligence.

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1334082698' post='4929972']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Fortunately this forum is not a game, it's an intellectual community, and we can and should ban people who aren't good community members.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Personally i rate posts towards the rating i think they deserve, not sure if thats how it is meant to be used but personally i don't think that the rating a good or bad post gets should depend on the popularity of the thread or on the quality of other posts by the same poster).
Also, i've only downrated one post in this thread and uprated 4, 3 of the posts i rated up was made by the same poster as the post i rated down, (I rated those up because i didn't think they were bad enough to get a negative rating).

As far as worldchat goes it really depends for me, I don't mind global channels as long as :
* they are optional to participate in.
* they are moderated

The world chat definitely gives a sense that you're part of a much larger community. I've played MMO's where the world chat is disabled, and they just seem empty in comparison.