Opinion on World Chat?

Started by
34 comments, last by fasttrackjack 12 years ago

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1332842306' post='4925608']
Next time I'm making a thread I'll make sure to say I'm only interested in people with same opinion.

This is a discussion forum, discussions where everyone agrees with eachother aren't really discussions and don't really lead to anything, If you want a place to post your opinions without having them challenged i'd recommend getting a blog, disable comments and add a facebook "like" button
[/quote]

Yeah and in addition to that you're not supposed to downrate posts here because you disagree with them. The way our rating system is intended to work is that people downrate posts that are hostile, factually wrong, or otherwise indicate that the person who wrote them isn't being a good community member. You are supposed to rate up posts that are insightful, helpful, or make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, not just ones you agree with.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1333950034' post='4929467']
Next time I'm making a thread I'll make sure to say I'm only interested in people with same opinion.

This is a discussion forum, discussions where everyone agrees with eachother aren't really discussions and don't really lead to anything, If you want a place to post your opinions without having them challenged i'd recommend getting a blog, disable comments and add a facebook "like" button
[/quote]

Yeah and in addition to that you're not supposed to downrate posts here because you disagree with them. The way our rating system is intended to work is that people downrate posts that are hostile, factually wrong, or otherwise indicate that the person who wrote them isn't being a good community member. You are supposed to rate up posts that are insightful, helpful, or make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, not just ones you agree with.
[/quote]

Well, The one who made the system isn't a good game designer... because if you only want something to be intended for a specific thing then there can not be any other alternatives... you must create systems and features that are intended for people who can not be trusted.

Well, The one who made the system isn't a good game designer... because if you only want something to be intended for a specific thing then there can not be any other alternatives... you must create systems and features that are intended for people who can not be trusted.

Law of large numbers. Even if some dude comes along and downrates/upvotes everything at random, it will be quickly averaged out to zero by the contributions of the rest of the community. It would take a large number of people to actually have significant impact on the rating system, and if that happens (which is not often, I'd wager), the forum can simply rollback all the ratings. I don't see any obvious flaw with this system. Clearly it is working well as I actually see people using the rating button with measure and intelligence.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1334082324' post='4929970']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Fortunately this forum is not a game, it's an intellectual community, and we can and should ban people who aren't good community members.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Personally i rate posts towards the rating i think they deserve, not sure if thats how it is meant to be used but personally i don't think that the rating a good or bad post gets should depend on the popularity of the thread or on the quality of other posts by the same poster).
Also, i've only downrated one post in this thread and uprated 4, 3 of the posts i rated up was made by the same poster as the post i rated down, (I rated those up because i didn't think they were bad enough to get a negative rating).

As far as worldchat goes it really depends for me, I don't mind global channels as long as :
* they are optional to participate in.
* they are moderated
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
The world chat definitely gives a sense that you're part of a much larger community. I've played MMO's where the world chat is disabled, and they just seem empty in comparison.
Game Design Articles and Indie Games!
http://slashandz.blogspot.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement