Loading of 3D Textures from a 2D texture

Started by
1 comment, last by Grx 12 years ago
Hi,

I'm trying to implement a color gradient post effect that uses the final framebuffer color to index into a 3d texture cube for remapping the color. Currently I'm struggling to load the texture so that I get a 3D texture shader resource view out of it. The source texture is a 1024 x 32 png texture representing a 32x32x32 color cube.

I get the file loaded into memory (from my own file handling system) and then use D3DX11GetImageInfoFromMemory to get the texture resolution (will get saved into a D3DX11_IMAGE_INFO structure, named rImageInfo in the code snippet below).

I then tried to use D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromMemory to create a 3d texture shader resource view.

D3DX11_IMAGE_LOAD_INFO rImageLoadInfo;
    rImageLoadInfo.Depth = p_iColumns * p_iRows;
    rImageLoadInfo.Width = rImageInfo.Width / p_iColumns;
    rImageLoadInfo.Height = rImageInfo.Height / p_iRows;
    rImageLoadInfo.FirstMipLevel = 0;
    rImageLoadInfo.MipLevels = 1;
    rImageLoadInfo.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
    rImageLoadInfo.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE;
    rImageLoadInfo.CpuAccessFlags = 0;
    rImageLoadInfo.MiscFlags = 0;
    rImageLoadInfo.Format = rImageInfo.Format;
    rImageLoadInfo.Filter = D3DX11_DEFAULT;
    rImageLoadInfo.MipFilter = D3DX11_DEFAULT;
    rImageLoadInfo.pSrcInfo = &rImageInfo

hr = D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromMemory(pD3D11Device, pDataBuffer, (tUInt32)iFileSize, &rImageLoadInfo, NULL, &pShaderResourceView, NULL);

I end up with this D3D error message:

D3DX11: Depth resampling can only be performed on D3D11_RESOURCE_DIMENSION_TEXTURE3D textures. Check LoadInfo.Depth, make sure it's 1 or D3DX11_FROM_FILE.

Does somebody know how to do this correctly? How do you guys load 3d textures?
Advertisement
You're not going to be able to do it that way...the D3DX texture loader is going to know how to reinterpret your 2D texture as a 3D texture. You'll need to load it as 2D texture first (with D3D11_USAGE_STAGING and D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_READ so that you can read it on the CPU), and then pass the data to CreateTexture3D through the pInitData parameter. As long as your data is in x->y->z byte order, it should work fine as long as you set SysMemPitch and SysMemSlicePitch correctly. So your SysMemPitch should be 32 * formatBytesPerPixel, and the SysMemSlicePitch should be the pitch value that you get when you call Map on your 2D staging texture.
Thanks a lot.

Got it to work with your tips. Actually had to write some code that reorders the texel data as the slices were next to each other in x-direction (1024 x 32).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement