Matrix rotation problem in 2d

Started by
1 comment, last by xstreme2000 12 years ago
I'm sure this is something really stupid but I'm drawing a blank on it. I'm just playing about with some basic 2d transformations in javascript. Translations and scaling are working perfectly but rotation has gone a bit weird. I'm sure many of you will probably be able to tell what's wrong just by seeing the rotation movement so I have uploaded a demo to here:

http://x2k.co.uk/canvastest/2d.html

All the code is obviously visible via view src but here are the relevant bits:

Matrix.init = function()
{
this.data = [ [1, 0, 0],
[0, 1, 0],
[0, 0, 1] ];
}

Matrix.setRotate = function(r)
{
this.init();
this.data[0][0] = Math.cos(r);
this.data[0][1] = Math.sin(r);
this.data[1][0] = -Math.sin(r);
this.data[1][1] = Math.cos(r);
return this;
}

Vector.transform = function(matrix)
{
this.x = (this.x * matrix.data[0][0] + this.y * matrix.data[1][0] + matrix.data[2][0]);
this.y = (this.x * matrix.data[0][1] + this.y * matrix.data[1][1] + matrix.data[2][1]);

return this;
}

Like I said I'm sure it's something really simple but I've been trying to work it out and failing so I'd very much appreciate it if one of you guys could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks!!!
Advertisement
I cant see anything really wrong with the math so Im guessing its a javascript value passing/usage problem.
Try taking a single point say (1.0, 0.0) and apply a series of 45 or 90 degree rotations to it so it moves like the hands of a clock, print the values and make sure they are landing at (0.0, 1.0), (-1.0, 0.0), (0.0, -1..0), etc
Got it, was a case of being a total idiot (as I suspected)

this is wrong because it changes the value of y before which causes the second calculation to be incorrect

{
this.x = (this.x * matrix.data[0][0] + this.y * matrix.data[1][0] + matrix.data[2][0]);
this.y = (this.x * matrix.data[0][1] + this.y * matrix.data[1][1] + matrix.data[2][1]);
return this;
}

changed it to
{
x = (this.x * matrix.data[0][0] + this.y * matrix.data[1][0] + matrix.data[2][0]);
y = (this.x * matrix.data[0][1] + this.y * matrix.data[1][1] + matrix.data[2][1]);

this.x = x;
this.y = y;
return this;
}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement