• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
barraclough

is this good for a beginner

This topic is 2270 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, as i new member i thought i should introduce myself. My name is stephen , i attended college for a short period doing games development. Unfortunately the college i attended was very under equip and i hardly learned basics never mind anything else.

I got to play a little with c++,java, dark basic,html, visual basic. I also got to play with some 3d programs like 3ds max, blender, Photoshop.

It really interested me, and i bought a few books. But finding it hard to read them, mainly the examples, and thought it would be kl to be taught like a college y a real person.
b
I have came across a website called 3dbuzz.com. I was wondering it anyone else here is a member, as a beginner i was wondering if it was worth the monthly cost, as i plan to stick with it.

And they have a number of videos for a number of platforms. Xna, unity and some others. Id like to accomplish making a small game.

I dont plan on anything crazy or perfect. And i understand its not easy no matter what your creating. But im willing to give it a good shot.

I look forward to any advice given. Thank you in advance

Advertisement
Hi Stephen,

$35 a month is a bit steep for someone who's just getting into game development. Although, I'm not necessarily saying that it's a bad idea, you might want to be sure it's something you really want to do first. Lazy Foo has a a set of free C++ tutorials that give a fairly good feel for the basics of a lot of game development concepts like collision detection, input handing and even simple multi-threaded processing. It's a great place to start learning and if you get stuck with one of the lessons, there are plenty of people on this site who can help you out.

When you are just starting out, it would probably be a bit premature. That said, value is a very subjective thing. I for example pay 45$/month for Safari Books, and I consider that a bargain, but others would find that outrageous. However, if you want an idea what 3DBuzz will be like, they have 7 hours of Unity tutorials for free. This should give you a feel for what their content is like.

I would suggest you focus a bit more, pick a single language and stick with it for now. To get an idea for where to start, try reading this guide. It should cover your initial choices and some free resources for learning each. Once you've exhausted what it is freely available, then consider joining 3DBuzz.

Yes 3D Buzz is worthwhile the man went into mind numbing detail in the C# XNA game tutorials, I don know about the other languages they offer.

TBH 3D Buzz made the whole experience easier and you can take baby steps.

If you havent done already take a look at the sample tutorials they offer, so you can judge the content.

Beginners tutorials I found for XNA were difficult to find on the internet, so I would recommend you give 3D Buzz a try.

thanks for all the replies, been bogged down alot with work just now, one of the fellows quite, so im on double work load. But ill get a good read at this on the weekend. Unity looks good, but seems far out for a beginner. Thinking of doing c++. Trying to stay away from dark basic type stuff and do it properly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!