• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Development Track

This topic is 2160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all,

I just found myself lost in the tons of information available in the internet, books avaiable on amazon and so on.
I am currently working as ASP.Net developer and lately i am working on VSX project, so my point is I am not new to programming and programming concepts, design patterns, algoroithms etc. But I am really interested in the game development and want to develop my skills there, at first place just as a hobby, because I like my work atm.

I've went some books which goes directly into game development - no concepts, just straight forward do this, implement this, but didnt find them very useful...
Currently I started to read "Programming Game AI by Example" and I find it very interesting.

I just want to make a simple plan on how to develop myself into this field of programming, so should I go for AI books first or create some small and simple games
I really want to start with the main concepts of game programming, because I want learn how things work, but as i said I just found myself lost in the tons of information, so any suggestions are appreciated.

I am using c# as programming language and I have already tried the XNA Framework, so that is the development envoirment I am heading to :)

Best wishes

Advertisement
Eh? If you know how to program, make a game with what you know. Games are just sets of rules. If you are a web developer by trade, do something simple like hangman to start or scrabble/words with friends.

I've found the most challenging part of game development isn't neccesarily the coding, it's more the design behind it. Whether you're making an "engine" from scratch, using a lot of pre-existing libraries strung together or even just doing scripting, there are a million ways to do everything and some much better than others.

Short Version: I need to accomplish A, how will I get Information B to area Z efficiently and easily? That's where games turn into a mess of cross-dependant code and other nonsense.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement