• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Akando

Built in Functions

This topic is 2250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been messing with C++, Java, Basic, etc... for awhile. The problem I am runing into is that if I get a book about it or watch a youtube tutorial on it they use things that I can not find much on.

one such thing is with java when they say to
[size="2"][color="#7f0055"][size="2"][color="#7f0055"]import[size="2"][color="#000000"] javax.swing.JFrame;

[size="2"][color="#000000"]I am confused as to how they got this import, where it comes from, what exactly it does.

[size="2"][color="#000000"]Anyone have suggestions of where I can look to find the functions that are already built into a language?

Advertisement
That doesn't give me the full answer I was looking for. I was mainly using that as an example, but was I really wanted to find out what how do I know what functions are already in a language?

like there is srand, math, swing, jframe, etc.... Where do I find out more information about these? Do I have to open the actual .lib or package file to look at them and figure out what they do?

Most languages have online documentation detailing the built-in functions and included libraries. For example, the java docs can be found here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/

I was mainly using that as an example, but was I really wanted to find out what how do I know what functions are already in a language?

To be pedantic, most languages have very, very few built in functions (if any). A language's standard library on the other hand will have many functions for you to use. These aren't necessarily built into the language even if they're automatically included with your development environment. As flembobs points out, the Java standard library is well documented on their site. MSDN has .NET's standard stuff. C++... well you get Josuttis' book if you want complete well documented standard library stuff there.

Thats what I needed. I've been looking for reference sheets all over the internet for any of the languages and it never gives me something of much use. It may tell me the function itself but it doesn't say anything about the import. LIke I now know that java.awt is for the user interface, from what I've seen it was just for graphics and keyboard input so only about 1/3rd of what that import is actually capable of.

Thank you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!