• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Valvatorezj

Question For Programming Browser Based Games

This topic is 2423 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
What about a Flash game? A MMO like some of those linked is way to big of a project to start with. You could make all sorts of games that run in a browser using Flash though.

My suggestion is to not go for Flash

I think the easiest for you will be to start with Php + MySql database and see what you will be able to create.

Otherwise you can use asp.net, use the whole new world that is provided by html5, css3 and javascript

Good luck

A couple things I am trying to accomplish are a single player world that will later on involve player interaction, on a controlled and smaller scale. Would this be possible/effective through Php +MySql database?

*Majority of game play is done on a solo level.
*Implementing player interaction through competitive and/or collaborated events. [PvP and Group PvE type scenarios.]

Again thank you for the quick replies!

An example of html5 game from 2 years ago similar to what you're looking for and d1mitar mentions is "Lord of Ultima" from EA games. It uses basic ajax calls to update a view of the database, and uses a MVC structure. So basically players input is checked on server, php or other lang checks user input to see if it's allowed, if so updates database record. Next ajax call from browser (1 per sec) updates new value from db.

From the db you can make leaderboards and keep track of/display whatever you want (kills, items, rank, etc).

The actual pvp in that game is more like db record vs. db record, but it's a great example for reference. Very simple.

I am very unfamiliar with "Lord of Ultima" so I did some research before replying. On the Wiki it states "The game uses pure Javascript Web technology, and is not based on Adobe Flash, unlike many other browser-based games." I also had to do more research on Javascript. . . which then led me to seek more information on Ajax as well. I appreciate your post and it definitely added some bookmarks to information/pages I will do more research and reading into.

"Lord of Ultima" also reminded me of the Heroes of Might and Magic Online game Kingdoms.

I want to start simple, a browser based game testing out the core fundamentals of my game idea. How would you recommend me doing this? What language would be the best to do this in, that would allow me to expand from a 10minute game into a larger game? Maybe "best" is not the correct adjective, most flexible language from transitioning from a test game into a broader multiplayer game?

If you want to do a browser game, depends on whether you want it to be an MMO or just an online game with ranking and stats and leaderboards. either way, simplest thing to do is learn PHP and MySQL, as mentioned by d1mitar, then learn a client-side script language, like javascript and ajax.

I guess now that we are on the topic I would love to go more into the specifics. Hopefully this way I can get a little more guidance.
These are the basics of how I want the game to run:

*Purely 2D.

*The player will travel on a "Home" map. This will be very simple like FF Tactics movement on the map. You have your character and you click to move to the next available space. A lot of the game will take place in a single player environment - meaning the player will not "run into" or encounter other players randomly while playing. Player interaction will be restricted to specific towns/events.

*Dungeons will be very simple moving from "Room" to "Room" until the boss is beat and the dungeon is cleared.

*There will be player interaction through the form of "Tournaments" and "PvE Events" (Like big boss battles requiring more then 1 player to complete or even an entire dungeon tailored for multiple players.)

*The most ambitious part of the game is definitely the Tournament System. I don't want to exclude players who would rather do PvE over PvP, so I will want to have some tournaments that are all AI.

That is the best I can sum up without creating a wall of text! Again, thank you for all the responses!

Programming a game for a browser is similar in many ways to programming any game except that you need to also understand the mechanics of client/server communication for even the most basic interactions. As others have already mentioned, learn PHP, MySQL and JavaScript. You will also need a means of displaying your game's content. With Flash-based games this was as simple as drawing on the stage, but with Flash gasping its last few breaths (hopefully), I would suggest an alternative, either the HTML5 canvas element or SVG. In terms of the best way to learn all of the fundamentals you will need to get started, take a look at W3Schools, they have fairly comprehensive guides and language references that walk you through the basics of web design/development and cover all of the languages you will need.

As far as what you've listed as project goals, there is nothing that can't be accomplished on that list, but there is a lot of work involved to get it all done.

If it were my project, I would start with the basic interactions (moving around the world map/dungeons, picking up/using/dropping items, etc.), then design the battle system and hammer out all the remaining details on the single player side before ever starting on the multiplayer content. This will allow you to have all interactions in place so that you can easily define the data models needed for the networked aspect of the project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!