• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How do I create more than one constant buffer ?

This topic is 2159 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The reason why I want to create a second constant buffer is to render a second cube, Is there another way to create a duplicate of a cube .

Advertisement
I believe there are more than one constant buffer register. If you want 2 distinct constant buffers you can create an array of constant buffers and pass that to your shader SetConstantBuffers(...) function.

How are you creating your first constant buffer? That said you don't normally create a new constant buffer just to store a cube. Constant buffers are for stuff like camera position, world/view/projection matrices, shader parameters, etc... vertex and mesh data usually goes within the vertex declarations.

You create a second constant buffer in the same way as you create the first constant buffer.

Also, you may reuse a single constant buffer for different drawing calls. ie. fill constant buffer for the first cube, draw, re-fill the same constant buffer for the second cube (like with different world matrix and color etc), draw the second cube and so on.

Cheers!

I understand creating the second constant buffer, It how do I run both constant buffers at the same time using VSSetConstantBuffers function

I understand creating the second constant buffer, It how do I run both constant buffers at the same time using VSSetConstantBuffers function

Assuming you're using DirectX 11, you can declare two constant buffers in HLSL like this:

cbuffer cbuffer0 : register(b0)
{
//..
}

cbuffer cbuffer1 : register(b1)
{
//...
}

Then use:

ID3D11Buffer** ppCBuffers = {pCBuffer0, pCBuffer1};

VSSetConstantBuffers(0, 2, ppCBuffers);

Assuming you're using DirectX 11, you can declare two constant buffers in HLSL like this:

Oh... I always assume 11 smile.png

I'm getting an error when it comes to CreateVertexShader function

Which error do you get?

I am not following exactly what you are trying to accomplish since all the techniques to draw any object multiple times have been presented and you don't give a clue which option you are following. Read my previous post. It is the simplest way to draw the same cube as many times as you wish and you'll only need a single constant buffer for it.

Best regards!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement