• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectX Tutorials

This topic is 2247 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,
Ive been trying to look into DirectX, there are several online tutorials but im not sure which are any good or worth investing money into. i had been looking at DirectXTutorial.com but after having a quick look on this fourm it has already been shown to cause bad practices.
Is there anyhing be it book or tutorial that can be recommended?

Thanks!

Advertisement
You should start by installing the DirectX SDK on your computer.
When you've done that go to Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010) -> DirectX Documentation for C++
Open that file and then go to Samples And Tutorials. There you'll find everything you need to get started

Grtz and have fun!

Those aren't tutorials, even when they're labeled as such. They're code samples. DirectX isn't so incredibly straight forward that you could learn how to use it by staring at code with useful comments such as

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Structures
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention those "Tutorials" only cover Direct3D. Although I'm not quite sure how up to date other DX libraries are, at least some of them seem to be discontinued.

I recommend http://www.rastertek.com/tutindex.html
The site is ugly, but the tutorials are legend... wait for it... dary.
However, you should have msdn opened, because raster doesn't explain all details/parameters but gives a solid basic in directx 10/11

I don't like the SDK "tutorials" as well. However, it's possible to learn dx with them, but I prefer the path with the least resistance... Edited by Inukai

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!