What to choose?

Started by
10 comments, last by jpetrie 11 years, 6 months ago
Hello, i am just trying to start with some game development in my free time, so first step is which language to choose. I want to start with somthing thath is extensible. I already know few programing languages mostly C# (as this is my job) and Java, C++. I have been thing about XNA 4.0, but it seems thath DirectX is "much" better. I found thath it can work with C# too with SlimDX.

So i want to hear what are your recomendations.
Advertisement
C# is good. SlimDX is fine.

This question comes up super frequently (and is in the FAQ).
Yes, go for SlimDX. XNA might be better for a beginner, but it looks like microsoft won't update XNA any more.
XNA must be your choice if you haven't got enough time.But, if you both love to make game by pure code and have got enough time to study ,I think C++ and DirectX are the best choice.
C# is an excellent language, and XNA would be a good choice of library; if you don't want to use XNA SlimDX would make a good second choice.

Don't get bogged down looking for a perfect language or library -- just get started!

- Jason Astle-Adams

And between SlimDX and normal DirectX with C# what would you recommend?
There is no 'normal' directx for C#, so...
Hey, again me :) May i can ask what are there any new books for starting with direct x? I just switched now from C# to C++, so now i will realy start with directx game dev and i would need and new books if are there any.
And between SlimDX and normal DirectX with C# what would you recommend?[/quote]

DirectX is a set of native COM-like libraries, but most of them are not well-behaved COM and so cannot be used via COM interop in C#. Direct3D in particular, which is what you're really asking about.

In other words, there is no "normal DirectX" for C#, you only have options that are wrappers (XNA is a very high level wrapper around D3D, as was Microsoft's MDX which is now deprecated and their CodePack which is now effectively abandoned). Your only sane choices are SlimDX or SharpDX, both of which will work fine.

C# is good. SlimDX is fine.

This question comes up super frequently (and is in the FAQ).

What FAQ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement