• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

need suggestions for game editors/engines

This topic is 2147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, but i have a question. i need a suggestion for a good visual object based game editor. that seems simple enough, but i also want it to have a built-in scripting function to basically tell what each object does.

Advertisement
You could use Game Maker -- it's a visual game editor that allows you to quickly assemble games via drag & drop and setting options, and also provides a built-in scripting language called GML.

You could also look at Construct 2, which is also a visual editor. Construct 2 doesn't have a scripting language built in, but it does allow plug-in development in JavaScript, and as plug-ins are able to access basically everything in the game and engine it's entirely possible to write as much game logic as you might wish as a plug-in.

Both have free trial versions.

Does that help?

I agree with jbadams, Gamemaker in my opinion is the best way to start developing simple and complex games, it's my recommendation to use it, there's a free version which is limited to some functions like (3D, particle effects, etc.), it also has a built in Image Editor which I still use to make most of my sprites.
Also I have this thing where if I use a really simple Game Engine/Tool, I don't feel satisfied with the game i made, but with Gamemaker I feel like i made something really awesome.

im not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, but i have a question. i need a suggestion for a good visual object based game editor. that seems simple enough, but i also want it to have a built-in scripting function to basically tell what each object does.

Check out Kodu as well http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/kodu/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement