Environment-interactive animation

Started by
1 comment, last by Hassanbasil 12 years ago
Hello everybody,

First off I'm not really sure if this is the right board but let's hope it is tongue.png

I'm working on animation for my engine, basically i'm planning to make 3 types: normal keyframed animation, skeletal animation (pre-defined frames of bones) and the environment-interactive skeletal animation.
So basically, my API will have a set of functions responsible for moving bones depending on the environment, for example, if there's a wall on the character's right, i can call hxSkeleton::SetBoneChainTarget ( baseRightArmBone, rightHandBone, wallPosition ); so it tries to move all bones between baseRightArmBone and rightHandBone so that rightHandBone touches the "wallPosition", same thing with legs, which can give better results while moving up stairs, for example.
The question is, has this been done before? where can i read more about it? would be better than starting all over from scratch, also is it practical? Is it better than pre-defined frames?
Advertisement
It's something called inverse kinematics, and it's a fairly well-understood (if complex) problem domain.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

It's something called inverse kinematics, and it's a fairly well-understood (if complex) problem domain.

Thank you for pointing that out, InvalidPointer ( sounds wrong, eh? tongue.png ), i found alot of information on it, guess that's all i needed happy.png .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement