Start game programming

Started by
25 comments, last by Serapth 12 years ago
I agree with Black Rook. Once you know one language the next will go much easier. It's not like you are stuck with one for the rest of your life, you'll want to learn/use more sooner or later anyway. I started out with C++ and spend some time with C# later on, now I'm simultaneously learning C#, Python, PHP and Lua while mastering my C++ skills along the way. Just focus on making games. The language is only a tool.

Would PHP, JavaScript and HTML5 allow the multiplayer/online game play?

Sure it will, but if you realy plan to do something big like an online rpg you might want to use something like Java. I think HTML5 is mostly a replacement for flash used in small action/arcade games.
Advertisement
Some say having this done in JavaScript/HTML/PHP will be a real pain.

May i ask why they would say so?

It do-able but more complicated or it's just longer to code?

Thanks

Some say having this done in JavaScript/HTML/PHP will be a real pain.

May i ask why they would say so?

It do-able but more complicated or it's just longer to code?

Thanks

HTML5/Javascript support is a bit shaky still so getting things working properly on all major browsers takes alot of extra work, (If you restrict yourself to HTML4 then things get alot smoother but it isn't anywhere near as flexible)

using PHP as the backend is suitable for turnbased or tickbased multiplayer, for realtime multiplayer you probably want a server written in Java/C++/C#/Python/etc instead and might want to consider not using JavaScript at all since you pretty much want to use websockets for those games (and websockets are still not widely supported) (For multiplayer games using javascript you're pretty much restricted to using ajax to interact with php/asp/jsp scripts if you want it to work on most browsers)

Also, as for the post earlier that said flash might get 3D support in 5 years: Flash got support for hardware accelerated 3D in Flash 11 (Released in October 2011) so it is allready a viable option for browser based 3D games, (Allthough Unity is easier to work with), Flash also handles both sockets and asynch web requests well enough so you can quite easily make a multiplayer game using it.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Alright thank you very much for your reply.

May i ask, why i should not just aim at using C# or Java?

Thanks

Alright thank you very much for your reply.

May i ask, why i should not just aim at using C# or Java?

Thanks

For browser based games C# and Java works fine aswell using Silverlight / Applets, the installbase for the browser plugins however is signifificantly smaller than that of Flash(and noone wants to download stuff for a browser game, the main point of them is that they just work) and they are harder to work with so unless you have very specific requirements i wouldn't recommend either of them for a browser game. (For the server both are good options though).

For downloadable games on the other hand C# and Java are far better off (The installbase doesn't matter then as you can bundle whatever you need with your installer)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
So i am better off using PHP, Ajax and HTML?
If you want to make a multiplayer game embedded in a web browser you aren't going to get much more powerful than Flash/Java, Java especially should be an obvious contender since Runescape uses it, an MMO played in-browser that QUITE a lot of people play, thus it's obvious the requirement to download/update Java isn't that big a hurdle for players. That said there are quite a few multiplayer/MMO style flash games out there so that isn't out of the question either.

Really though you're not being specific about the requirements of the game here; are you looking for simple 2d? 3d? Images strung together like many of those "turn based" browser game sites out there? Multiplayer is just a point of functionality it doesn't neccesarily mean a real time connection like Runescape would imply. You could call something like Kingdom of Loathing an MMO if you wanted to.
Ah sorry for not being too specific.

The game i would like to be building are online real time based.
Meaning playing online with other players, rating/score changes depending what the user does, etc etc.

Basically, a multiplayer game just like runescape where you can play with other players.

Thanks

Ah sorry for not being too specific.

The game i would like to be building are online real time based.
Meaning playing online with other players, rating/score changes depending what the user does, etc etc.

Basically, a multiplayer game just like runescape where you can play with other players.

Thanks

Read this, Mozilla just released exactly what you are looking for, a browser based game called BrowserQuest, with full source code available. Its HTML5 based with Node on the back end.
For gaming it seems like Javascript is going to be the wave of the future and while HTML 5 really introduces cool new features with animation capabilities and interactivity, sometimes these things don't last (too early to tell right now), my suggestion is that if this is the first game you are developing do it in the programming languages that you are familiar but at the same time start learning what Javascript can offer in this area of programming and try to implement it where you can. Find a decent book that can help with some insight on Javascript and start playing around with the structure, you can find tons of examples online if you take the time to look around. Never limit yourself to what you already know because there really is a lot to learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement