2D Action Game Sprites : Paper doll equipment or custom characters with unchanging appearance?

Started by
10 comments, last by Dwapook 12 years ago
Yeah, that's correct. In my game, you have one armor slot and it represents the whole body, so you equip an armor and it changes the whole body art, not just the chest. Except the helm which is a different piece, but I decided to not show it. (Personal preference: for the good guys, I prefer to see my characters' head.)

About how to have every piece of a 2D sprite customizable, that's a very good question.

It's certainly possible to make a paperdoll where you can change parts of the body. Blizzard did it incredibly well in Diablo II. For example, look at the sprite of those corrupted girls from Diablo 2 in the first act. From memory, they have 3 types of lower body (one normal, one corrupted/naked and one with demon legs) then two types of shoulders (normal and with a horn), 3 types of head (long hairs, bald, demon head) and different weapons. And it's like that for most humanoid monsters as far as I know. (The game generates two sprites to be used by all monsters of a same type so you have to reload the game to see different variations.)

Those generated paperdoll sprites blend perfectly into a new sprite and have no glitches, so it really looks good. However, those were generated by a 3D package, not hand-crafted by a 2D artist.

If you're going to use pre-rendered sprites with a 3D package, then you should be able to pull that off. Could require some blender scripts to setup the rendering process, but it seems that scripting is hardly a challenge for those that frequent these boards. For 2D artists though, it could be challenging to make so many paperdoll sprites where every combination blends perfectly. I'm not exactly the best pixel artist out there, to me it is more work then I care for.
Advertisement
Another option is 2D skeletal/bone animations..

Just saw this the other day http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter
Could be promising..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement