Sign in to follow this  

LOD with Perlin Noise "zoom"

This topic is 2086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I'm using my Perlin Noise algorithm as a height map (I don't store as a texture, I use the values directly on my vertices).
Representing an earth scale planet I need a height map for at least 510 million km².

My problem is now, that I don't know how to make a "more detailed" noise on higher LOD.
There must be another way than making an array of 32000*32000 random numbers for perlin noise to get acceptable terrain on highest LOD.

Are there any techniques to get this done?

Straight-up Perlin noise is a rather uninteresting sinusoidal curve. To generate a perlin-based terrain, one usually combines multiple octaves (layers) of perlin noise together, while varying the frequency/scale of each octave. Look around for "fractal brownian motion", or "ridged multifractal" for a few common such fractals.

I'm assuming you are already using such a multi-octave noise function, in which case, to increase detail at higher LOD, you just add successively more octaves of noise.

Hi swiftcoder. Thanks for the keywords
[left]"fractal brownian motion" and "ridged multifractal" thats exactly what I was looking for! Now I got tons of new material [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img][/left]

[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]NEW Question:[/font][/color][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]Is the only way to get a seamless cubemap for terrain, to generate 3D noise? Or is there an algorithm to map 2D data seamless on a cube? [/font][/color][/size][/left]

[quote name='Imprecision' timestamp='1333207035' post='4926945']
Is the only way to get a seamless cubemap for terrain, to generate 3D noise? Or is there an algorithm to map 2D data seamless on a cube?[/quote]
One can come up with a number of kludgy solutions using tiling 2D noise and a polar projection, but nothing that works terribly reliably.

I always end up using 3D noise for my [url="http://swiftcoder.wordpress.com/tag/planets/"]procedural planets[/url] - it just looks and works better.

This topic is 2086 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.