Location of D3D effect file

Started by
5 comments, last by Anddos 12 years ago

I am new to Direct3D and learning the book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 10". In the examples of the book, the effect is created with D3DX10CreateEffectFromFile method, so the effect file (.fx) has to be put in the same directory as the executable file. I am now in a project. The problem is that put the effect file in the same directory as the executable file means we have to distribute the effect file. This results in disclosure of intellectual properties. Is there any other way to create D3D effect with D3DX10CreateEffectFromFile method by putting the effect file in the source code directory?

Advertisement
You can pre-compile the effect to a binary file using fxc.exe or D3DCompile, and then you can load that binary file instead at runtime.

You can pre-compile the effect to a binary file using fxc.exe or D3DCompile, and then you can load that binary file instead at runtime.

Can this pre-compile step be done in the Visual Studio build process? Moreover, I wonder why does Microsoft insist to force developers to put effect code into HLSL file, instead of a C++ source file?

Can this pre-compile step be done in the Visual Studio build process?

Sure. Just set up a new build type for shaders that invokes fxc.exe, and assign that to your effect files.

Moreover, I wonder why does Microsoft insist to force developers to put effect code into HLSL file, instead of a C++ source file?

I'm confused by what you mean by this. The shader compiler will happily compile any shader/effect regardless of where it comes from, as long as you point it to a file or give it the ASCII string data. You're free to put into whatever files or formats you want.

I'm confused by what you mean by this. The shader compiler will happily compile any shader/effect regardless of where it comes from, as long as you point it to a file or give it the ASCII string data. You're free to put into whatever files or formats you want.

So you mean writing shader effects in a ASCII file brings the benefit of programming language independence.
I wonder if it would be possible to stream it from the executable as a resource instead? Doesn't D3DX provide functionality to create an effect from memory?

EDIT: Ah-ha!... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb172770%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
or you code hard code the shader as a char[] and then use
D3DXCreateEffect, so there is no .fx file needed at all...
:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement