Sign in to follow this  
pondwater

XNA How do I (permanently) decrement a Texture2D alpha to 0?

I need to permanently decrement a Texture2D object's alpha components to a possible value of 0 (as to leave no artifacts).

I've created a trail effect by rendering to a renderTarget and every frame i need to decrement the alpha component of each pixel. To avoid a costly getData setData for loop conversion I've just rendered the texture onto itself with a decreased alpha component but as you would guess this leaves alphablending artifacts.

What is an effective way to achieve this? It would be a bonus if I could be done in a linear rate.

I'm not sure what you mean decrement it to 0? as in... not drawing it anymore? Apologies if this is a ridiculous question... if nothing else it's a premature bump :).

Could you render it without blending it against *anything* and use a shader to modify the alpha directly? Or is that what you're doing?

What does it look like? Can you post a screenshot?

I have a persistent render target. Every frame I add onto this target by drawing the current moveable entities with a semi transparent alpha component (new Color(255,255,255,225)).

In order to create the fading trail effect I need a way to efficiently lower the alpha of each pixel each frame. That way older images become more and more transparent, while the more recent images are more prominent.

At first i figured I could use getData/setData and manually decrement the alpha values by lets say 5 or 10 each frame. But this seems horribly inefficient because the texture is essentially the size of my back buffer and the loop would be 1 million+ iterations.

So what i've been doing is drawing onto blank renderTarget2D at a translucent alpha value (lets say 245) and then swapping it. Therefore every pixel every frame is drawn as 225/255 alpha of itself. This works wonders and the image fades gradually however my problem is that it never quite reaches 0 this way. It ends up a faint grey that never leaves.

I've been testing around with different blendStates and their properties, some fade better than others. What I find is depending on the alpa/color source/destination blend properties I get one of two results:

a) a nice gradual fade that leaves a faint 'stain' on the screen (ex AlphaBlend)
b) a very rapid fade that leaves no stain. (ex Additive)

I'm not very familiar with using custom shaders and if its possible to do this without them that would be optimal.