Horizon SkyDome Sun Shader

Started by
2 comments, last by jischneider 12 years ago
Given a geodesic dome with proper UV spherical texture mapping and a sun position. I am trying to find some readings or examples of a shader for adjusting the sky horizon and give the appearance the sun is in the sky.
Advertisement
How accurate are you aiming for, here? I think the Preetham sky model is still pretty popular and I know that there's a spherical harmonics-based projection that's also been worked out if you want to get some pretty sexy model lighting to go with.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Awhile back I started to come up with a 'close enough' approach to rendering the sun in the sky. http://matt328.wordpress.com/category/xna/ These two posts here try to detail what I've done. It's nowhere near the aforementioned models and pretty incomplete, but if you're just looking for somewhere to start your own implementation, you might find them interesting reads.
FX Composer has an interesting example project called SimpleAtmosphericScattering.

It lacks some features and it has a “bug” in the pole of the skydome, but for the most part is an excellent project for reference.

[size=1]Project page: [size=1]<

[size=1] XNA FINAL Engine[size=1] [size=1]>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement