Sign in to follow this  

Graphics were are they

This topic is 2083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question about grapics like in RuneScape. Just useing RuneScape as a example.
1.) How does RuneScame build the map. is it all code, or a Map Editor?
2.) are the grapics set in sprites?, if so were do you find them.

1) Depends on the game. Any moderately large game has a map editor (probably a privately developed in-house one) less the map makers go insane trying to hardcode them.
2) Depends on the game. Runescape is 3D, so the characters and graphics are 3D models with textures. Regardless of where you 'find' them (which, again, depends on the game), you can't use them in your own projects without getting sued by Jagex - It's their property.

[quote name='Ghost Creations' timestamp='1333223493' post='4927001']
I have a question about grapics like in RuneScape. Just useing RuneScape as a example.
1.) How does RuneScame build the map. is it all code, or a Map Editor?
2.) are the grapics set in sprites?, if so were do you find them.
[/quote]

The runtime/'game' bits are all code, i.e. any of the stuff that tries to draw or pull data from the map. It has to get executed somehow! That said, Jagex also has a dedicated team of environment artists that use a level editing tool to arrange and manipulate parts of the word to their artistic whim. This, too, uses code in the sense that it's a computer program that takes user input.

I don't think Runescape uses sprites anywhere outside of particle systems, actually. Old versions (pre-2004) did a Doom-style 2.5D deal for characters and game items, but I think everything's all models now.

This topic is 2083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.