Game Design Theory (Youtube)

Started by
4 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 12 years ago
(Edit: I've renamed the video series "Crude" to point out that I'm using a specific game idea of mine as a template)

I got this new video series on youtube that I encourage all designers and would-be designers to check out. I'm also open to input, and I'm looking into Gamedev.net (among other things) to learn even more about game design.

Crude #01 - Overview
[media]
[/media]

My plans are to become a professional game developer and earn my first million within the next 10 years. Big plans, but it's not about reaching them, as much as how much farther you can get from just having them. So I need to soak up knowledge like a sponge and get things organized.

Thanks for any input on the videos and this thread.

Cheers,
DrMadolite

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

Advertisement
So, I've completed 11 videos by now and still going strong. The last videos are more specific to my game idea (a post-apocalyptic Action RPG), but I figured it'd be a great approach to sharing game design theory, because you'll get an idea of how it actually plays out. Anyways, I hope you like my videos, I'm not getting a lot of feedback so please rate and subscribe.

Thanks.

Hi Mado,

I started to watch the videos yesterday but I've only watched the first one and a half so far.

It inspired me to put some more focus on documenting game design rather than just coding the prototype straight off, but at the same time I felt that the videos should be shorter and more "to the point" with clear goals. This is just my first impression but I'll have a look through the series and see if I maintain the same opinion.

Regardless of this I think it's a very nice effort and contribution to release the videos. I make video tutorials myself (for making music) and I know there is a lot of time and planning that goes into making them.

Universal Sound FX - Thousands of sounds in an affordable and evolving library for indie developers, only $15 =)

Imphenzia Soundtrack - Music for Indie Games - Music Showcase

Hey, Imphenzia:

Thanks for the nice input. I'm eventually going to get 50+ videos and most of them will be very specific. The first 8-9 videos are just a general overview of things. First though, I need to get done with the storyline, but I've had some thoughts myself about maybe dividing it into two separate series.

Oh btw, feel free to check out my most recent video - "Broken Road" (Chapter 2 of the Crude storyline).

Hey DrMadolite,

I've been watching the first two episodes of your videos and although the first is more of an introduction where I can't make any real comments obviously, I think you misjudge a couple of things in your second video.

The first thing I noticed are a lot of references towards other games, now in general there isn't anything wrong with that in the first place, but I think you shouldn't do that. If someone didn't play a game you reference to, you will not get your point across in the way you hoped. This might not be that big of a deal for your videos in general where you are not trying to sell your ideas, but if you would want to sell me the idea of your game and you go like: "Take the mechanic of game X, it's something like that but we changed it to take this and that idea into account" and I have no clue what game X is, I would most likely lose track of what you mean and get frustrated, which is something you don't want.

Another thing I noticed was the number issue of damage in WoW. There is nothing wrong with a personal opinion of what you like, but do keep in mind that what you described is somewhat invalid. You gave the example of low level damage being 1 and high level damage being 1000 (just an example) and that you would rather see high level damage being 100 or so. Depending obviously on other parameters, you will most likely have one and the same scaling factor, making the change somehwat irrelevant, except that there might be bigger numbers.

I think you're also being a bit contradicting when it comes to the food/nurture. You don't want food to be a hassle, which is fine, this is of course a choice you make and there is nothing wrong with that, but it seems to me water is going to be a hassle, if you don't drink, skills might drop down, making it a requirement to drink. However later on you refrained from it, making it more of a bonus, which might or might not work. All I am saying is that you shouldn't underestimate the impact of seemingly small bonuses (take WoW for example where it is now almost a requirement to get the food buff to take the best out of it). Also with the vehicles being able to produce water, making another emphasis on water, which wouldn't be a hassle, but you're putting an emphasis on it again with the vehicles.

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I might be totally wrong here and you might explain certain stuff better on the next videos (which I haven't yet watched, but will) making all my points here invalid. I'm guessing that all the stuff in your second video is just concept, trying to get your point across, so take my comments with a bit if salt so to say. I don't think your video is bad at all. It's a great learning experience in all.

<edit, got my answer in your third video :P> I'll be watching your videos and supply you with some feedback if you would appreciate that. Keep up the good work though smile.png

"Take the mechanic of game X, it's something like that but we changed it to take this and that idea into account" and I have no clue what game X is, I would most likely lose track of what you mean and get frustrated, which is something you don't want.

Yeah, it's worth remembering, as people obviously can't read my mind hehe. But if you don't know those games, then it's not too important, it's mostly meant for those that do. But in future videos I'll try to be more specific and not reference too much, though. It can be annoying to have to google and wiki things all the time and not get a straight answer up front. laugh.png

Another thing I noticed was the number issue of damage in WoW. There is nothing wrong with a personal opinion of what you like, but do keep in mind that what you described is somewhat invalid. You gave the example of low level damage being 1 and high level damage being 1000 (just an example) and that you would rather see high level damage being 100 or so. Depending obviously on other parameters, you will most likely have one and the same scaling factor, making the change somehwat irrelevant, except that there might be bigger numbers.

Good point. It's mostly an aesthetic thing, but also some practicality involved. The scaling returns of the items will be much less exponential than in WoW, and there's major differences in how you progress. Secondly, with lower values it will feel like a bigger deal when you get +X to a given stat. Also, with too many digits, it can feel very generic and that's a big no-no in my book. Everything should feel like it has a solid purpose in the game.

I think you're also being a bit contradicting when it comes to the food/nurture. You don't want food to be a hassle, which is fine, this is of course a choice you make and there is nothing wrong with that, but it seems to me water is going to be a hassle, if you don't drink, skills might drop down, making it a requirement to drink. However later on you refrained from it, making it more of a bonus, which might or might not work. All I am saying is that you shouldn't underestimate the impact of seemingly small bonuses (take WoW for example where it is now almost a requirement to get the food buff to take the best out of it). Also with the vehicles being able to produce water, making another emphasis on water, which wouldn't be a hassle, but you're putting an emphasis on it again with the vehicles.

Some more good points, but have in mind nonetheless that I'm showing the process of game design itself, which includes putting down ideas that later will be changed or maybe even scrapped alltogether. On the other hand, it's also meant to produce feedbacks like your own, so it's definitely a good thing.

As for the food and water, their hassle and usefulness is easy to control. I'm definitely rethinking the water system, it needs to be less distracting. Also, WoW is also very different game with specific game parameters that enables its food system to behave like it does. TBH, I think the system in WoW is broken. It's mostly the principle function itself that I'm interested in (the general idea that eating/drinking will give you a long-duration bonus that you can't get otherwise). The idea for the Crude system is to make food feel like a nice bonus but at the same time not be needed. Secondly, Crude intends to feature vastly smoother progressions that make it a lot more robust towards the "slippery slope" bonuses that you're referring to (small bonuses gone wild).

The main thing is that Crude is, like Wasteland, Fallen Earth and the Fallout series, a game that emhasizes on the theme of survival and scavenging in a damaged world. Food and water just gotta be in there, somewhere. It just comes with the territory, as do the ammo management system that I'm looking deeper into as we speak. I initially wanted a more vague system, but it looks like I need to flesh it out more (later on).

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I might be totally wrong here and you might explain certain stuff better on the next videos (which I haven't yet watched, but will) making all my points here invalid. I'm guessing that all the stuff in your second video is just concept, trying to get your point across, so take my comments with a bit if salt so to say. I don't think your video is bad at all. It's a great learning experience in all.

I definitely appreciate any feedback I can get. As a game designer, you just gotta have those. What I want is only half the equation, the rest is what the players want/need.

<edit, got my answer in your third video tongue.png> I'll be watching your videos and supply you with some feedback if you would appreciate that. Keep up the good work though smile.png

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement