Thoughs on a game

Started by
5 comments, last by hughinn 12 years ago
Okay, I recently started a project, which is my first true program, i don't know how to really categorize the game.

It's basically a text-adventure dungeon-crawler, a text-based roguelike or a single-player MUD, that's the closest possible things i though of it.

The game is done on Scheme, specifically Racket, you enter a dungeon, beat monsters, pick objects, get the treasure an get out.

Dungeons are randomly generated squares of X rooms, where you choose X (you can make dungeons with 2x2 rooms as you can make dungeons with 100x100 rooms).

The thing i liked the most, was the modding ability you have, it's easy to create monsters, weapons, armors, stats and, with some thinking, you can simulate things like skin tough enough to be considered armor in some monsters.
You can change almost all the text in the game, so from a dungeon crawl to get a treasure, you can get a My Little Pony story, a game where you search in the school for the answers to an exam, or change it to a templar knight looking for the holy grail.

The game is in github here https://github.com/Hughinn/Dungeon/

or just download the zip file with a working game(without installing racket) in the attached file or the mediafire link in github.

I need advice on things that either from the explanation above or from playing the game you think are lacking, combat system is generic, armor and weapons give some multipliers, min and max damage, magic attacks ignore armor, current and maximum HP.

I'm currently trying to implement true bodys, so when you get hurt, you start to bleed, you can't hold a weapon if your arm has been ripped off etc.

Thanks for any advice, or just for reading through this.
Advertisement
Sounds like it is an adventure game which is interesting.
It definitely sounds interesting, I am a bit confused with the mod changing. Essentially you are going to be giving the player the options to make the game changes themselves, am I understanding this correctly?
yes, thats correct, it's something like dwarf fortress if you ever played it, there is a folder with .txt files, which anyone can change and make the game do a huge amount of diferent things, like the ones i listed in the post.
Sounds interesting, good luck
hey im just starting out in programming and game design. what did you use to make this? what language? how long did it take? just wondering :P
it says on the post, i use Racket, an implementation of Scheme, it took 2 weeks on and off. It was my first program if you want to name it that way.

If you're asking because of the post you made about making a MMORPG, you shouldn't really use this, the language enforces a different way of thinking, and most of the guide to make games wouldn't really be clear using it.

Otherwise, it is a nice language to program and has awesome books written that can help you learn to program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement