Are Pack Files (PAK, ZIP, WAD, etc) Worth It?

Started by
18 comments, last by Trienco 12 years ago
Here's a question I've been mulling over. Are pack files worth using in a game? I've looked into using PhysicsFS, but I'm not liking its global state so much. I don't need any compression in my pack files, as just about everything will already be compressed (png for images, vorbis for audio, vp8 for video, protobuf binary objects for units/objects/maps, etc), and I'm more concerned about read/write times. If I used a pack file, I'd just need a format with random access (like zip). Here are the pros and cons as I see it of having an uncompressed pack file:

Pros

• (Slightly) harder for users to muck with
  • It's only one file (it's kinda nice having things grouped in one file)

Cons

• (Slightly) harder for me to work with
  • Increased save times when modifying the file (which the game won't do, but I will in my editor, so it's a con for me, though users won't experience this)

???

• Faster read times? (I've heard it can help not thrash the hard drive so much, but is this really much of a concern today on modern operating systems, and does it really help a significant amount?)

Does anyone have much experience with the pros/cons of using pack files? Are there any significant pros to using pack files, and are there any significant cons to just using the normal file system?
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
(Slightly) harder for me to work with
Increased save times when modifying the file (which the game won't do, but I will in my editor, so it's a con for me, though users won't experience this)
In my engine, I only use packs/archives for retail/shipping builds. In development builds, each asset is stored in a separate file in the data directory. When making a shipping build, the data directory is "zipped" into an archive, and the code is compiled to use a different asset-loading class.
This lets me have the benefits of archives on the end-user's machine, while having the benefit of easy content iteration during development.

IMO, I find working with "files" much harder than working with assets. Yes, in development my assets are stored as files, so when I say [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Load("foo.texture")[/font], that does turn into [font=courier new,courier,monospace]CreateFile("data/foo.texture", GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, 0, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED, 0)[/font]...

However, because I never think of these assets as "files", I'm free to change the behind the scenes behavior. Maybe I'll look in the OS's file system first, and then in a patch archive, and then in the shipping archive. Maybe I'll pre-load a chunk of an archive that contains several assets at once, then when the user asks for any of those assets, I've already got the data sitting there, etc...

Also, because I don't think of them as files, I don't author them as files. I never copy files into the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]data[/font] directory, and I never use [font=courier new,courier,monospace]file->save as[/font] to create any of the [font=courier new,courier,monospace]data[/font] files.
Instead, we have a content directory, which does contain files, and a data-compiler, which scans the content directory for modifications, compiles any modified files, and writes them into the data directory. This means that for example, if I want to change my textures to use a different DXT compression algorithm, or I decide that materials should be embedded into level files, then I change the data-compiler's rules, and the data directory can be recompiled.

The association between an asset name (e.g. "foo.texture") and the content file path (e.g. "d:\myProject\content\foo.png") aren't hard-coded; our compilation routines are written in C#, the build steps described in Lua, and regular expressions are used to find a suitable file to use as input when building an asset.
e.g. The following Lua script tells the asset-compiler that:
* If the asset "[font=courier new,courier,monospace]foo.geo[/font]" is required, then use the GeometryBuilder plugin (a C# class) and load "[font=courier new,courier,monospace]temp/foo.daebin[/font]" as input.
* If "[font=courier new,courier,monospace]temp/foo.daebin[/font]" is required, then use the DaeParser plugin and search the content directory recursively for "[font=courier new,courier,monospace]foo.dae[/font]" (a COLLADA model).local DaeParser = Builder("DaeParser")
Rule(DaeParser, "temp/(.*).daebin", "$1.dae")
local GeometryBuilder = Builder("GeometryBuilder")
Rule(GeometryBuilder, "data/(.*).geo", "temp/$1.daebin")

These kinds of data compilers can also be used to ensure that only the data that's actually used by the game ends up in the data directory. Instead of compiling every file inside the content directory, we only compile the required files. We start off with the hard-coded asset-names used in the game's source code (ideally this number is quite small), then we find the linked assets (e.g. a material links a texture and a shader), and repeat until we've got a full dependency tree.
Another neat feature you can add to a system like this is asset-refreshing -- the data-compiler is already scanning for file modifications to rebuild new data, so when it re-builds a file it can check if the game is currently running, and if so, send a message to the game instructing it to reload the modified asset.

In the industry, every company I've worked for the past 6 years has used some kind of automated asset pipeline like this, and I just can't imagine going back to manually placing files in the game's data directory -- to me, it seems like a lot more of a hassle wink.png
Faster read times? (I've heard it can help not thrash the hard drive so much, but is this really much of a concern today on modern operating systems, and does it really help a significant amount?)[/quote]Assuming a non-SSD drive, it can give a significant reduction in loading times. With 1000 seperate files, the OS can keep each one defragmented, so that each individual file load can be done without wasteful seek periods, however, the OS doesn't know the order in which you want to load all of those files, so you'll pay a seek penalty in-between each file and likely won't benefit from automatic pre-caching.
If you pack all the files end-to-end, in the order in which you want to load them, you can spend more time reading and less time seeking.

As for modern OS's helping out, either way, make sure you're using the OS's native file system API (e.g. on windows, CreateFile/ReadFileEx instead of fopen/fread). By using these API's you can take advantage of modern features like threadless background loading (DMA), file (pre)caching or memory mapping.
Wow, thanks a ton for the great insights Hodgman! I'm definitely looking at implementing a data compiler like that. The auto-asset-refresh sounds *really* nice. That, and it lets the artists maintain their normal workflow when it comes to updating assets. And I think I'll do what you do: use pack files in the release builds and the filesystem for development builds. Abstracting the data storage and using a swappable loading class would be nice.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
After a long search i found the paper that i read long ago:

http://wassenberg.dreamhosters.com/articles/study_thesis.pdf

It's by Jan Wassenberg of Wildfire games (0 A.D). He describes how packing of assets resulted in a massive reduction of load times.
Properly packed, you can reduce load times. That is by far the biggest compelling reason. Ideally packed you have a small pointer table up front followed by all the data that gets memory-mapped and copied into place as fast as the OS streams it in. However, do that wrong and it will be SLOWER than a traditional load. Profile and proceed with careful measurements.

Making it harder for end users to reverse engineer is perhaps the most invalid reason. If that is your motivation then stop.

Properly packed you can have independent resource bundles that can be worked and replaced as individual components. A great example of this is The Sims where you can download tiny packs of clothes, people, home lots, and more. People generate custom content all the time and upload their hair models, body models, clothing models, the associated textures and whatnot, all in their own little bundle.

Many comprehensive systems will use dual-load systems, first checking the packaged resources and then checking the file system for updated resources. That enables you to make changes without rebuilding all the packages. Even better systems will watch the file system and automatically update when changes are detected. This is extremely useful when there are external tools, such as string editors, tuning editors, and various resource editors so you can see your changes immediately in game.
I'm very interested by this.
I initially started by referring to resources (possibly the same thing as "asset names") however I had a few collisions here and there and I later switched to using file names directly. I didn't like this and I don't like it now, I want to go back to asset names in the future however I am still unsure on how to deal with naming collisions and in general provide a fine degree of flexibility.
Perhaps it would be just better to give better naming conventions?
Suggestions on rules about resource->file mappings?

Previously "Krohm"

Making it harder for end users to reverse engineer is perhaps the most invalid reason. If that is your motivation then stop.

It's not. My primary goal is load times (though I wanted to confirm that was still an issue, as the last time I considered this topic was years and years ago).

The bundles idea is a cool concept I hadn't thought of. While I don't plan on my current game being very moddable, it's definitely something I'd like to do if I make a more moddable game.

Keep the good input flowing! This has all helped me a lot.
@Madhed:
In respect of the generally very interesting paper by Jan Wassenberg, one should note that it contains a lot of very useful information for some cases, and a lot of consideration in general. If one develops for a console or considers streaming data from CD, the paper hits the spot 100%. Some of the techniques described (e.g. duplicating blocks) are big win when you read from a medium where seeking is the end of the world (such as a DVD), or when you can't afford clobbering some RAM.
On the other hand, if one targets a typical Windows desktop PC with "normal" present time hardware, almost all of the claims and assumptions are debatable or wrong (that was already the case in 2006 when the paper was written).

What is indisputably right is that it's generally a good idea to have one (or few) big files rather than a thousand small ones.
Other than that, one needs to be very careful about which assumptions are true for the platform one develops on.

On a typical dektop machine which typically has half a gigabyte or a gigabyte of unused memory (often rather 2-4 GiB nowadays, or more), you absolutely do not want to bypass the file cache. If speed (and latency, and worst case behaviour) is of any concern, you also absolutely do not want to use overlapped IO.

Overlapped IO rivals memory mapping in raw disk throughput if the file cache is disabled and if no pages are in cache. This is cool if you want to stream in data that you've never seen and that you don't expect to use again. It totally sucks otherwise, because the data is gone forever once you don't use it any more. With memory mapping, you pull the pages from the cache the next time you use the data. Even with some seeks in between (if only part of a large file is in the cache), pulling the data from the cache is no slower and usually faster (much to my surprise -- this is counterintuitive, but I've spend some considerable time on benchmarking that).

Ironically, overlapped IO runs at about 50% of the speed of synchronous IO, if it is allowed to use the cache (this is, other than under e.g. Linux, actually possible under Windows). Pulling data from the cache into the working set synchronously peaks at around 2 GiB/s on my system (this is surprisingly slow for "doing nothing", a memcpy at worst, but it beats anything else by an order of magnitude).

Asynchronous IO will silently, undetectably, unreliably, and differently between operating systems and versions, and depending on user configuration, revert to synchronous operation. Also, if anything "unexpected" happens, queueing an overlapped request can suddenly block for 20 or 40 milliseconds or more (so much for threadless IO, which means your render thread stalls during that time). This is not singular to Windows, Linux has the exact same problem. If the command queue is full or some other obscure limit (that you don't know about and that you cannot query!) is hit, your io_submit blocks. Surprise, you're dead.

What you ideally want is to memory map the entire data file and prefault as much of it as you can linearly at application start (from a worker thread).

If you, like me, own a "normal, inexpensive" 3-4 year old harddisk, you can observe that this will suck a 200 MiB data file into RAM in 2 seconds, with few or no seeks at all. If you, like me, also have a SSD, you can verify that the same thing will happen in well under a second. Either way, it's fast and straightforward. If your users, like pretty much everyone, have half a gigabyte of unused memory, the actual read later will be "zero time" without ever accessing the disk.
This is admittedly the best case, not the worst case. But the good news is that the worst case is no worse than otherwise. The best (and average) case, on the other hand, is much better.
@samoth
fair point. I just wanted to point out the paper since that was the first thing that sprung to my mind when reading the thread title. I haven't acually implemented or verified the results but found the paper interesting enough to share.

Cheers
I use PhysFS myself and it works great I think. It allows you to not use an archive, but instead mount an actual folder.

This means in development you can still be using PhysFS and be working with the resources on disk directly, and then create an archive and switch to using the archive by mounting the .pak file or whatever.

PhysFS has really nice FileIO functions too.

I find it's also pretty easy to write a little batch script or shell script that creates the archive from a folder in one click if you add something and want to see changed results.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement