Hi everyone! - said the complete beginner

Started by
19 comments, last by Narf the Mouse 12 years ago
Any suggestions on where to get such overview of what programming for the iOS entails?

I have never even talked to a programmer, what should I ask them?

*feels very confused*
Advertisement

Any suggestions on where to get such overview of what programming for the iOS entails?

I have never even talked to a programmer, what should I ask them?

*feels very confused*

I Am Not A Jobs Professional, This Is Opinion:

Someone here should be able to do that. Might be usefull to start a specific thread for that - I've noticed that it makes people more likely to respond to follow-up problems.

1) What's your favorite iOS game and how would you write a clone of it? Give me a five minute layman's (or laywoman's, in your case) description (I firmly believe that I never understand anything well enough until I can explain it to a layperson).
2) What problems would you forsee in getting the game to completion? (You're looking more for intelligent analysis of problems and problem-solving capability here, than any specific analysis. The ability to recognize their own strengths and weaknesses is a must)
3) How would you port the game to another platform? (What you're looking for here is, do they program *in* a specific platform, or *into* a specific platform? That is, to analogize in graphics terms, do they think of everything as Photoshop, or can they think in terms of image editing? The reason you want this is, 1) Being able to sell on other platforms increases profits; two, it shows good practices; three, it shows they plan for the future).
4) How much time a day do you spend reading computing blogs, books and other resources? What are your favorites? (You want a number that indicates they do self-study and keep up their knowledge, but one low enough to indicate they don't that when they should be working. And that they aren't approaching burnout. You can also check out the blogs they mention and possibly other resources, depending on availability. You can also check, at least, to see if they read (or at least know the names of) iOS resources and if those resources sound "intelligent")

That should help get you started.
Ah thank you, this is very useful! Makes perfect sense ^_^

I'll gather the materials I have and willing to share/demonstrate my points with, and then start a new thread with those questions in mind :)
Wait.

Have you ever had a job? That's the best way to enter the industry, and get yourself familiar with the workflow, and the best thing is one of your colleagues will be a programmer, and you two might become best friends and start your own project together!

You don't go through this contract stuff if you don't even know what's going on.
@Alnite: No, actually, I never had a "regular job".
I am self employed.

One thing I do have going for me is that due to the nature of my work, which is in the entertainment business, I have access to advertise my games to a couple hundred thousand people who actually read/listen to what I write and say.

I researched a bit about how to advertise your game(s), and a lot of forums and places agreed that one of the most difficult things is reaching a lot of people who care about what you have to say.

But all this is in the future, right now I'm concentrating on familiarizing myself with what's needed to find a good and respectable programmer, who hopefully won't laugh at my idea, or try to rip me off.

To be honest, I don't think I have much of a future in a day-to-day job (my current work wouldn't allow me to hold a steady job anyway).

I do have another project that's pretty similar to the game Robot Unicorn Attack (it's 2D, graphics, flowchart, design, etc are all done, just need a programmer to put it together biggrin.png). How would that go over with regards to programming time and cost?

When you're able to create art, you are already in a good position, but never underestimate the work you need to commit in a project. You need to manage your team, you need to create art, you need to design the game, you need to do PR, you need to a business, you need to get in contact with a lawyer etc.

When you have a small game, a good idea and a good understanding of what you want (hopefully feasable), try to get some motivated people on board. A coder, an additional artist or a businessman, some people you can trust. This is not easy, but it get a lot easier when you have already art, concept shots, a presentation video, game design etc. Freelance coders are not that cheap, a professional coder earns around $80-120k in a year, a freelance with equal qualification will take more. Thought some motivated student will do the job for less.

When this is first game, the game you always have dreamed of, try to make an other game first !

A simple iOS game, which uses similar techniques, just to get enough experiences. All on a very short, good planed timeline (4 month). This helps you to get a feel of all the pitfalls, the time commitment, working in a team, managing a team, handling the overhead etc.When you do the art, you should be able to get a coder for 50% share on board, just for your exp-project.
@Ashaman: Thank you for the tips!
I do wish I had a 100k to throw away at my game, but alas, that's not the case :(

I do have 2 little pre-games I want to do before the "bigger one", and now I'm working on the arts and such of those games.

I didn't know that it's this difficult to find a game artist actually. :)

@Ashaman: Thank you for the tips!
I do wish I had a 100k to throw away at my game, but alas, that's not the case sad.png

I do have 2 little pre-games I want to do before the "bigger one", and now I'm working on the arts and such of those games.

I didn't know that it's this difficult to find a game artist actually. smile.png

Getting a programming partner seems the way to go, then. Artist and programmer is worth a 50/50 split. Without a programmer, no game. Without good art, no/very little sales.
Yepp, it seems like that would be the best way to go :)

Thanks everyone for all the advice! ^_^

Now I just need to find a good programmer *giggle*
Easy as pie *NOT* :P
Liana,
Since you mentioned Unity3D, I suggest you quickly hit the Unity site and register the engine for yourself. They currently have a promotion where you get the basic free version of Unity PLUS you can add on iOS and Android support for free as well. This will save you $800 if you decide a month from now that that is what you are using.
The promotion ends on the 8th so it's definitely worth acting on it today. (Also, once you get it, install and activate your serial number immediately. If you activate it after April 8th you may not be able to access your bonus licenses)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement