generating 3d avatar from 2d photographs

Started by
2 comments, last by Antheus 12 years ago
hello there. i have a question,how are 3d photo realistic avatars generated from 2d photograph(s)?i saw a video on "virtual relay" where the user uploads photographs and a 3d photo realistic avatar is generated.how s this done?also, if anyone know s how this can be done in c++,some pointers would be nice.thank you.
Advertisement
I suppose they use some kind of heuristic to generate depth information from the 2D image, and then render the resullting scene in a 3D environment, creating the illusion of depth. I am pretty sure this is nontrivial to do.

Or maybe something else. Can you show a few examples of 2D photographs and their resulting 3D avatar?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I think first you need good face-detection algorithm that should work from any angle (from frontal to profile) and also determine the functional parts of face (eyes, moth, nose, ears, hair...)
Then you need good deformable face model that can be morphed into most realistic human faces using small fixed number of morph targets.
Then you have standard optimization problem of finding specific face morph (plus hairstyle + skin color + lighting + ...) that will give the closest result to your photograph. Although I am pretty sure that real algorithms use many shortcuts because finding the global optimum is too difficult.
Lauris Kaplinski

First technology demo of my game Shinya is out: http://lauris.kaplinski.com/shinya
Khayyam 3D - a freeware poser and scene builder application: http://khayyam.kaplinski.com/
General topic is photogrammetry.

OpenCV is an established library used for machine vision today. Search for "scene reconstruction" or "3D reconstruction" as well.

There is no simple way to do it, field is still under active research and even the simplest approaches require fairly advanced math.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement