Sign in to follow this  
AgentC

Unity Current best open source 3D rendering engine?

What would you recommend as the current best choice for an open source 3D rendering engine (need not be a full game engine) with a "modern" mindset ie. is shader-based, and uses rendering APIs in a non-deprecated way?

IMHO all of the usual, well-known candidates have fallen behind one way or another, for example OGRE by not being terribly CPU or GPU effective and in need of a general cleanup; the current active developers themselves point this out: [url="http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30250&start=154"]http://www.ogre3d.or...30250&start=154[/url], or Crystal Space & OpenSceneGraph by always having been cumbersome and/or unfriendly to begin with.

I'm not really looking for a solution for myself, but just want to encourage discussion if there is some excellent library/engine out there we are not generally aware of?

(for what it's worth, I personally use OGRE & Unity (which of course isn't open source) at work, and then I have my own hobby engine which is D3D9/OpenGL 2.0 and MIT licensed -- link is in my profile -- but it's as of yet unproven for any larger applications, and lacks features, such as terrain rendering)

Last time I touched Ogre (2-3 years ago) it possessed very competent terrain rendering capabilities. If anything, it's engineered quite brilliantly; I'm sure with minor investigation to see its current state, I would recommend it again.

I've heard very good things about Ogre. It's mentioned in a few books I've read and I believe Naughty Dog uses it...never touched it myself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Partner Spotlight

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By STRATUM the Game
      Hey, everyone! This is my first post here.
      I would like to know what you think about my project called STRATUM. It's a 2D platformer that is heavily based on storytelling and boss fighting while trekking through the world.

Everything in STRATUM takes place in the first century AD, in a world that wraps our own universe, called  The Stratum. A parallel Universe that is the home of the Christian deities . In this game you will play as a Dacian warrior, unfamiliar with everything in this world, you’ll get to know and understand The Stratum together with him.
      The main thing that I want with STRATUM is to reinvent the known lore and history of the Christian deities and realms. 
      The story is unconventional, it plays down a lot of the mysticism of Hell or Heaven and it gives it a more rational view while keeping the fantastic in it. What do I mean by that? Well, think about Hell. What do you know about it? It's a bad place where bad people go, right? Well, that's not the case in STRATUM. I don't want to describe such a world. In STRATUM, there is a reason for everything, especially for the way Hell is what it is in the game. "Hell" is called The Black Stratum in the game.
      This world is not very different from Earth, but it is governed by different natural laws.
      The story will also involve the reason why this world entered in touch with ours.

What do you think about all that I said? Would you be interested in such a game? I have to say that everything is just a work of fiction made with my imagination. I do not want to offend anyone's beliefs.
      I want this to be a one man game. I have been working alone on it (this was my decision from the beginning) from art to effects to programming to music to sound effects to everything.
      I also have a youtube video HERE if you want to see the way the game moves and the way my music sounds.
      Please, any kind of feedback will be highly appreciated. If you have something bad to say, do it, don't keep it for yourself only. I want to hear anything that you don't like about my project.

• By LimeJuice
      Hi, it's my first post on this forum and I would like to share the game I am working on at the moment.
      Graphics have been made with Blender3D using Cycle as a renderer and I am using Unity3D. It's a 2D game, one touch side-scrolling game for iOS and Android.
      Here some pictures, and you can have a look to the gameplay on this video :
      Feedbacks ?
      And if you want to try it, send me your email and I will add you to the beta tester list!

• By Kirill Kot
      An adventure indie game with quests in a beautiful, bright world. Characters with unique traits, goals, and benefits. Active gameplay will appeal to players found of interactivity, especially lovers of quests and investigations.
      Available on:
      Gameroom (just open the web page and relax)
      AppStore
      GooglePlay
      WindowsPhone

• By Kirill Kot
      Big Quest: Bequest. An adventure indie game with quests in a beautiful, bright world. Characters with unique traits, goals, and benefits.
      Mobile game, now available on Gameroom. Just open the web page and relax.
    • By Kirill Kot
      Big Quest: Bequest. An adventure indie game with quests in a beautiful, bright world. Characters with unique traits, goals, and benefits.
      Mobile game, now available on Gameroom. Just open the web page and relax.
  • Popular Now