• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AceK7

Pokemon Clones?

13 posts in this topic

Are there Any Pokemon clones? Like a remake of fire red or leaf green or whatever? Would be pretty cool to play an updated version or one thats just like it but with differant story line and maybe not pokemon. Probably would be great for a beginner project so i hope im giving people ideas.

It would be a violation of Nintendo's intellectual property rights, for which they would issue you with a cease & desist notice and/or take you to court. Don't do this without explicit permission from Nintendo (which you're extremely unlikely to get).

You can however try making a non-Pokemon game where you collect and battle with monsters.

Very true that thought has come to mind as i was posting the first post.

There's many pokemon clones, both professional (monster hunter series) and indie (tons of free flash games). And pokemon comes out with new versions every year or two; the monster-raising-fighting really is a genre in and of itself nowadays.

[quote name='jbadams' timestamp='1333405391' post='4927670']
It would be a violation of Nintendo's intellectual property rights[/quote]It's hard to make assumptions on what the OP said.

Consider the term "Doom clone" has often been used, but this doesn't necessarily mean (and usually doesn't) a clone that is an exact copy, using trademark names, or otherwise infringing on IP. "Clone" in gaming is often used in a broader meaning that meaning a literal copy - often being a shorthand way of referring to a genre, which I would hope in general aren't the property of private companies. The OP would need to elaborate on what he is after. (Admittedly, "remake" often does have stronger implications of being a direct copy, but it's better to clarify, especially as the OP talked about original storylines.)

I think it's like... You can catch monsters, but not pocket monsters, and maybe you get away with catching them in "Spheres", maybe you don't. You probably can't have any electric mice, but an electric opossum might fly. You can have elemental dinosaurs and even a water turtle, but probably no squirrel-turtles. Maybe you get away with one of the above, but I wouldn't try two unless you're doing satire. I think satire is fair game but you can't clone the game like that.

But who wants to copy, anyway?

Speaking of spheres, check out Sphere Engine for making pokemon games. Never tried it, but it's something to look at.
Personally, I'd just hack myself a copy of PKMN: Emerald with that one tool for editing the game files.

Okay, here's a list of some hacks (scroll down a bit):
[url="http://pokemongamehacker.wetpaint.com/page/Pokemon+Hacks+and+Games"]http://pokemongamehacker.wetpaint.com/page/Pokemon+Hacks+and+Games[/url]
Probably not terribly good but gives you an idea of what you might do.

Basically you use a lot of different software to hack away, like AdvanceMap or others.
[url="http://ampage.no-ip.info/"]http://ampage.no-ip.info/[/url]

Here's a good website:
[url="http://wahackpokemon.com/en"]http://wahackpokemon.com/en[/url]

Here's one in SPANISH:
[url="http://frentebatalla.com/#"]http://frentebatalla.com/#[/url]

Here's that website above, with a page listing some of the tech.
[url="http://pokemongamehacker.wetpaint.com/page/Hacking+Tools+for+Pokemon+Games"]http://pokemongamehacker.wetpaint.com/page/Hacking+Tools+for+Pokemon+Games[/url]
It's likely outdated, use it only as reference is my advice.

It's a lot of hard work but it's the fastest and friendliest way to get going on a high quality pokemon game.
If you like the mechanics but long for a new map, I recommend this highly. It's fun.

Good luck and happy hacking!

I've always liked the idea of a pokemon mmo. Pretty much anything could be 10x better if you slap mmo on it

Granted they would have to change the game around a lot in order for it to work.

Another idea that I think would be amazing is if the game was a phone app that used google maps as the in game map. Businesses could be pokemon centers, poke'marts, gyms, etc. There are so many possibilities in that area

[quote name='J03_b' timestamp='1335275801' post='4934436']
Another idea that I think would be amazing is if the game was a phone app that used google maps as the in game map. Businesses could be pokemon centers, poke'marts, gyms, etc. There are so many possibilities in that area
[/quote]

Dude YES.

[quote name='J03_b' timestamp='1335275801' post='4934436']
Pretty much anything could be 10x better if you slap mmo on it
[/quote]

Pretty much anything could just as easily be 10x [i]worse[/i] if you slap mmo on it.

I'd find it fun and relatively easy to design a pet monster game, single player or mmo, with arguably better gameplay than at least the first gen games. But the problem is that as soon as you strip the pokemon name off and use original monsters people don't seem interested. I can kinda see why - the idea of turning (what was it, 8? 10? 12?) and being given your first pokemon friend to go journey around the world with is a strong fantasy, that people have a lot of loyalty for. But that's a clear part of the IP, you more or less have to change it around to be unrecognizable.

As far as designing a pet game in general, I think the big question one has to answer as a designer is what are the pets for? Are they for combat? Do they become units for an RTS or tower defense game, or workers for a worker placement game mechanic that feeds back in to the player's ability to capture/produce more pets? Are they sold for money in a tycoon mechanic? Are they for collecting? (Many, many pet games fail to take advantage of the urge of players to collect one of each pet; some games don't provide enough storage space to make this possible, others just don't acknowledge it as a gameplay goal or allocate a reward for completing this overall goal or the substeps of it, and I think there's no easier way to frustrate the average fan of pokemon-like games.)

On a side note, this thread reminded me that the pokemon yellow was probably the game that first got me interested in game design on a basic level. I remember I used to try to make my own pokemon cards lol I had so much motivation and time on my hands back then. If only I had the knowledge back then that I do now...

I know exactly what you mean about non-pokemon monster games though. I don't know why but I could probably never get into a different pokemon type game, even if it were as good a game. But also, I lost all interest in pokemon after the second generation for whatever reason. It was probably part of a stage when it wasn't "cool" to be into it