Anyone have experience with clutter for 2d game?

Started by
3 comments, last by multiversicationist 12 years ago
I'm thinking about using clutter to try and make a 2d spaceship. Do you think clutter will work good for this?
Advertisement
You'll need to be more specific about what it is you want to do.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Truthfully, I am not exactly sure. I would like to make a scrolling 2d arcade style space ship shooter one day. I don't really have any experience making games.

Right now I am developing a GUI for an audio program using clutter. So I have some experience with clutter, and I thought maybe it could be used to make a 2d game.

I messed around with SDL once, and I know that clutter is very different. In SDL you have a loop where you are constantly polling for events.

In clutter I can't figure out how to do this unless I used another library for input, and just use clutter for the graphics. In clutter you set up signal handling functions which launch functions when events happen. After you have all your clutter variables declared and or initialized in the main function, you use clutter_main(), which I guess starts the clutter main loop, but it is hidden from you.

So I'm just wondering how I go about this.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make this type of game using clutter, and if I could get some advice on how set up my game loop in clutter.
Doesn't look like clutter is really suited for that sort of thing... it is a UI library. It seems to have some animation functionality and whatnot, but I don't think it would be a great idea to try to twist it to fit a game. There are a number of other lightweight graphics libraries out there which would provide the necessary manipulation of images while allowing you a conventional internal game loop, etc etc.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
After learning more of the clutter API, I've found that a clutter game loop might use clutter_threads_add_timeout, which launches a given function continuously at a specified interval. This function could act as a game loop.

I'm still just not sure about the input. I'm currently trying to figure out why there is a lag with the click action in my program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement