Sign in to follow this  

short OpenMP performance question

This topic is 2081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I have a question about OpenMP directoves for small cases. Lest say I have a class managing big arrays with OpenMP. If an array is big there's no question that omp should get better performance. But what about array containing lets say 10 elements? Will compiler be smart enough to avoid creating for example 8 threads to process such a small array? Or rather I should use if-else statement?
[code]
if (N>100)
{
// openmp code
}
else
{
//serial code
}
[/code]

If so, how big should be array to have some advantage in using OpenMP?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Misery

You can dictate the chunk size, which would allow you to specify a psuedo minimum work unit for a thread.

[quote name='Washu' timestamp='1333441781' post='4927818']
You can dictate the chunk size, which would allow you to specify a psuedo minimum work unit for a thread.
[/quote]

Ok, but still - how much work would be worth creating the threads?

[quote]Will compiler be smart enough to avoid creating for example 8 threads to process such a small array?[/quote]

Hopefully yes.

If it doesn't, it just shared a cache line across 8 cores, meaning each write will stall entire CPU. Considering false sharing is one of biggest complaints about OMP, I wouldn't trust it to be smart about stuff like that.

But a much more important question here is about actual work being done. OMP isn't magic, so it should be used for problems that can make use of it. If multiplying 4x4 matrix once, it's a poor fit, constant factors will win. For large problems, it's not an issue.

Core issue here is the unsolved problem of parallel and concurrent programming. How to distribute the loads?

Using if statement however also indicates too wildly varying workloads for OMP to be a good fit. A task queue would be considerably better. Parallel indicates even and consistent work. Large variations are counter indication for such processing.

This topic is 2081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.